11% ABV melomel, 4 months old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I bottled a mulberry mead and crab apple cyser that are now 4 months old and spent 3 1/2 months bulk aging. The cyser was fermented with wine yeast. It finished at 0.997 and 14.5% alcohol and is definitely hot. I plan on not touching it until at least mid-late summer. However, the mulberry melomel tastes 90% spot on right now. I used Nottingham yeast and it finished dry at 11% ABV. I halted fermentation, added some acid blend, and got the FG up to 1.015. SWMBO tasted some and, of course, loves it. But she wants to start digging into it now and even bring a bottle with her for Christmas. I, trained on what I have read here, am hesitant to start drinking them now and want to wait a few months longer.

I am wondering if it is realistically possible that this melomel could be "done" after four months. Like I said, it tastes almost ready to me, save for a very slight alcohol flavor, but this is only my second wine and I am still a noob when it comes to testing doneness. Also if I bring it to Christmas and share it with my more wine-experienced relatives, I don't want to look foolish. Advice?

Also, FWIW, this is a 3 1/2 gallon batch, so even if we bring a bottle with us, there will still be enough to enjoy years down the line.

I say if it tastes great, have at it. I'd definitely hold back some bottles in the closet though to break out later.

If it tastes great now, think how much better it'll taste a year from now.
Enjoy a bottle now & save the rest for next year, that's what I'd do.
Regards, GF.

I am wondering if it is realistically possible that this melomel could be "done" after four months. Like I said, it tastes almost ready to me, save for a very slight alcohol flavor, but this is only my second wine and I am still a noob when it comes to testing doneness. Also if I bring it to Christmas and share it with my more wine-experienced relatives, I don't want to look foolish. Advice?

Also, FWIW, this is a 3 1/2 gallon batch, so even if we bring a bottle with us, there will still be enough to enjoy years down the line.

Yes, Melomels mellow out a little quicker. I have two 5 gallon batches of Cranberry that are only a little over a month old and one is already drinkable. I'll probably start tapping into them in the spring, but we put several bottles away for at least 2 years from the start date so we have the truly finished mead. I have to agree with everyone else here - Save most of it. The remaining 'off' flavors will age out.

Try to let things age as long as you can. The more of a stock you build up, the easier that gets.

Cheers!

Yea there are some quicker meads that are ready much faster than a year especially due to low abv and some residual sugars. I am with everyone else though, wait a while still.

Back