Opinions on this recipe....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
A little back ground on this recipe.....

On 9/9/09 I brewed two beers....first one was Schlenkerla's Mille Lite clone...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/
It turned out really good. Safale 05 dryed out nice. Beer was crisp, clean (and flavorless...LOL) just like miller lite. Several of my Lite drinking friends swore I opened a bottle of Lite and poured it into a glass.

I also attempted a second brew that day. While buying the ingredients for the miller lite clone, I got to thinking how Miller calls Lite a pilsner. To me, Pilsner is well, Pilsner Urquell.

So, on a whim, I said, "I'll buy the ingrediants to make a Pilsner, going along the same lines as the Miller Lite." Well....I didnt work that way. Or rather, I didnt work that way.... So now, taking the recipe for the Lite, punching it into Beersmith, and modifiying it to a 2C American pilsner, here is what I came up with.

9-9-9 Pilsner

Classic American Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Date: 9/9/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.56 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 22.22 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.22 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale 05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.58 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 36.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
Sparge Water: 2.72 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 11.25 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.20 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Created with BeerSmith

So, aside from it not being lagered, and assuming the S-05 does what it did with the Lite clone, what should I expect from this brew?

I have also made a recipe using all cascade, but I guess I am just sentimental for the Saaz.
I am hoping to duplicate the process of the Lite, with more body and flavor.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Third degree?

i'd drop the 6row and make it 7# pilsener, the diastic power between the 2 is nil nowadays and the pils will leave a cleaner flavor than the grainy 6row, 6row is the reason corn and rice was 1st used.

also look into doing a 90min boil for the extra DMS that is present in pilsener malt.

other than that it looks alot like my budwieser clone(sorta) in my dropdown, if you replace the saaz with cascade and do a true lager.

Concur. All-Pils, no Pale or 6-row. Definitely boil 90 minutes. You don't have to boil your bittering addition the entire time if you don't want; I usually wait til the 60-minute mark.

If you're looking for Urquell, delete the corn, go all Pils malt and decoct. ;) Otherwise, I like your grist.

There is no need to add enzymes at any point. Pils malt has plenty. Use your technique to affect the ferment, not additives. If you've been getting too much body - and I'd be shocked to hear that at 150F - reduce the temperature and/or allow the mash to rest longer at the saccharification temperature (otherwise known as "low and slow").

I like a step mash for adjunct beers. See the recipe writeup for SchmiPielSchaeRheingoldter.

Good luck!

Bob

Well, my pride got the best of me. I brewed the above recipe last tuesday. Tonite I racked it to the secondary. I did manage a 1.050 OG, and when racking today, got a 1.020. Hydrometer sample tasted like a nice sharp pilsner. I am going to leave is in the secondary for a week, then into the keg.

This brew had a nice bubbling fermentation. For the first few days it was nice and vigorus. Then it subisded, but still gave me a "pop" from the blow off every 20 seconds or so, untill monday morning.

Got this one in the keg. The first sip is a bit shocking and I say to myself, what was that? Second sip is much better. Ehh....its yellow fizzy beer and my BMC drinking friends like it. Even my wife liked it and she hated the miller lite clone. Next time, all pilsner malt.

Heres a pic. Lacing is awesome, the head is alot better right after the pour.

P1060514.jpg

Back