My first batch "watery" taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire943

Reaction score
Ok, I m brand new at this but it has been alot of fun so far. I bottled my first batch of Munton's IPA Bitter with 1 oz of cascade finishing hops yesterday. I tasted some and tasted a little "watery." Any ideas? Thanks.

Happened to me on my first batch also. I found that it came from doing partial boils and not mixing as well as I could. My advice: boil as large a volume as your pot and stove can handle, then mix in the extra REALLY well.

Welcome to HBT!

Uncarbonated beer has very little mouth feel and tends to taste watery. Let the baby carb and age and you will be surprised at the difference.

Welcome to HBT!

Uncarbonated beer has very little mouth feel and tends to taste watery. Let the baby carb and age and you will be surprised at the difference.

Great comment, some time in the bottle carbing really does help. I think the watery feel gives the perception of watery taste, in addition to the lack of aroma coming from the glass when you take a drink.

Welcome to HBT!

+1 to this....I was worried about a brown ale I made a few months ago being too watery after I tasted one at 1 week in the bottle......three weeks later it was suddenly the creamiest beer I'd ever tasted!

x2 my first batch tasted very watered down, and had almost no flavor! So i put it back in my brew closet for additional carb time. Turned out it needed a lot more time... @ 70 f it took 32 days in all to be ready to drink.

Back