Instruction say not to, but should I rehydrate my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I got the gluten free honey ale kit (sorghum and honey) from homebrewers.com and the instructions say not to rehydrate my yeast but to put it in the fermenter dry and aggitate for 5 minutes. The yeast packet says to rehydrate.

My question is, should I rehydrate or not?

Also, has anyone made a gluten free ale before? How did it turn out? Any advice specific for this type of ale?

I have a good friend with celiac disease and really misses drinking beer. I'd really like this to come out well for her.

Thanks. I'm at the office and don't remember what dry yeast

I think you should rehydrate the dry yeast. In fact, I would recommend it even if they say there is no need.

This was my first post and I'm so happy I found this site.

I used the search feature and found some good info on the gluten free stuff. I anticipate it will be very light colored. I'm new so I think I'll go by the directions and not add anything, unless someone has used this particular recipe and has some suggestions.

I'll rehydrate the yeast and make sure to let the fermenting complete before I go the the carboy (that's another story).

Thanks again guys.

For that recipe (site specs Nottingham), they may be saying don't make a starter to make sure you don't use any gluten. Nottingham should be rehydrated, although I have used it dry and it worked out fine.

I look at it this way: the manufacturer says re-hydrate. ALL dry yeast manufacturers say re-hydrate and they give very specific reasons for doing so. Adding it per the kit's instructions will kill 50-60% of the yeast and weaken the rest.

Even so, the batch will ferment.

Back