American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a picture of my version of this in a different thread. I ended up using a mixture of pellet hops and leaf hops to dry hop because that's all I could find. It looks like a disgusting mix of swamp water and leaves. But, oh, does it smell and taste so good! I can't wait. I think I'll rack it out of that carboy on Friday-ish and let it clear a bit before kegging it.

Thanks for such an awesome combination of ingredients!

YooperBrew said:
I posted a picture of my version of this in a different thread. I ended up using a mixture of pellet hops and leaf hops to dry hop because that's all I could find. It looks like a disgusting mix of swamp water and leaves. But, oh, does it smell and taste so good! I can't wait. I think I'll rack it out of that carboy on Friday-ish and let it clear a bit before kegging it.

Thanks for such an awesome combination of ingredients!

I actually used all pellets in a hop bag. No issues.

Ok, I am going to brew up another batch of this using Biscuit to see if I can eliminate the toasting step. Not that big deal, but why not? Also, looking forward to hear about the Centennial deletion. This is going to be our house beer for a while. Here it is. Ok, I'll quit crowing now.

lakewalk.jpg

Wow that looks tasty!!

I plan on making with out centennial in a few weeks so I will let you know.
I think it will be very good with just the 2 hops, the should compliment each other fine. I do love cenntenial as well so we shall see.

Jay

Dude wrote:
I eliminated Centennial from the hops additions recipe on the latest version. I will update the recipe if I find that it improves it.

If I get my shipment from AHS in time I plan to try this over the weekend. When you left out the Centennial did you change the other hop additions to compensate?

Just brewed this one up last weekend. The color was a little darker than I expected - anyone have a pic of one in the glass?

EDIT-Nevermind - Korndog's pic was slow to load and I missed it.

blacklab said:
Just brewed this one up last weekend. The color was a little darker than I expected - anyone have a pic of one in the glass?

EDIT-Nevermind - Korndog's pic was slow to load and I missed it.

It always looks darker in the kettle/fermenter.

Mine is just about carbed up enough to sample and review again. I'm off the next few days so I'll definitely be drinking some fresh LWPA!!!!!!!!

Mine is just about carbed up enough to sample and review again.

Looking forward to hearing this review. Got everything I need to try brewing LWPA this weekend. Going with the no ”C” version. Hearing your new thoughts will make the waiting easier.

After reading all I could find, I still have a question. Where does the name come from?

Lake Walk 01.jpg

anoldur said:
Looking forward to hearing this review. Got everything I need to try brewing LWPA this weekend. Going with the no ”C” version. Hearing your new thoughts will make the waiting easier.

After reading all I could find, I still have a question. Where does the name come from?

"Lake Walk Crossing" was the street we lived on when I first started brewing. This recipe was kind of the first recipe I ever started tinkering with to make a house pale ale. It has gone through many renditions and is finally getting up to where I really like it.

FWIW, I think my second batch of this (extract) really got the ball rolling on my brewing hobby. It turned out great, and up until recently I've been trying to replicate that extract version doing all grain. Getting there!

I'm really happy to see so much interest in it. You guys are making my head swell! Thanks!

korndog said:
Ok, I am going to brew up another batch of this using Biscuit to see if I can eliminate the toasting step. Not that big deal, but why not? Also, looking forward to hear about the Centennial deletion. This is going to be our house beer for a while. Here it is. Ok, I'll quit crowing now.

lakewalk.jpg

That looks awesome--almost "juice" like. One time a guy from my homebrew club asked me if my LWPA recipe had fruit juice in it. He couldn't believe that tropical fruit flavor came from hops.

Dude said:
I'm really happy to see so much interest in it. You guys are making my head swell! Thanks!

I'm kegging this right now, and it's really great! I really wanted something that would scream citrus hops at me- and I really like it. I can see me putting away many gallons of this beer!

This does look like a real nice, clean recipe. I've tended to use a lot of Munich malt in my simple pale ales, maybe I'll try some toasted malt (think some Victory might give some similar characteristics?) next time.

the_bird said:
This does look like a real nice, clean recipe. I've tended to use a lot of Munich malt in my simple pale ales, maybe I'll try some toasted malt (think some Victory might give some similar characteristics?) next time.

Yeah Victory will but lately I've been toasting 2-row for the Victory taste...

This recipe is going on my list...

Criminy! The local brew store didn't have all the hops. He gave me Nugget instead of Simcoe and Phoenix instead of Contennial. I bet this beer is going to be a completely different beer now isn't it? I was looking forward to that citrus taste.

Jolly McStanson said:
Criminy! The local brew store didn't have all the hops. He gave me Nugget instead of Simcoe and Phoenix instead of Contennial. I bet this beer is going to be a completely different beer now isn't it? I was looking forward to that citrus taste.
Yeah, nugget is no simcoe. That's too bad.

Hey Dude how was this with out centennial? Did you up the other hops? I do love cenntenial..but I think SImcoe and Amrallo work very nice together as well

Jay

Dude said:
That looks awesome--almost "juice" like. One time a guy from my homebrew club asked me if my LWPA recipe had fruit juice in it. He couldn't believe that tropical fruit flavor came from hops.

Thanks for the compliment Dude. Yeah, I was asked if there was juice in it too. We did you proud and finished this batch in a jiffy. Rave reviews on the growler I took to a Super Bowl party. I just brewed another batch, but it was one of those hellish brew days where everything was rushed. I hit my OG to the fermenter, but my mash temps were all over the place thanks to a blown strike. I also forgot the Irish Moss which I like to use. Anyway, at least the Safale 05 is furiously doing its job. I'm hoping for the best.

Well I just kegged this beer with the hops that I had. It tasted and smelled very citrus even with the different hops....go figure. It tasted like i put grape fruit juice in there.

The only thing is I have that strong tannin grain husk taste that's been in all my grain beers. I don't think I'm sparging right. I just bought some 5.2 pH stabilizer to see if it will get rid of my tannin /husk taste problem.

OK Im making this this weekend..I was planning on removing the cenntennial becasue I want to save them for my Stone IPA. Any thoughts on if it imparts that much? Or maybe just cut it to dry hop only?

I was curious what the change has been.

Jay

discgolfin said:
OK Im making this this weekend..I was planning on removing the cenntennial becasue I want to save them for my Stone IPA. Any thoughts on if it imparts that much? Or maybe just cut it to dry hop only?

I was curious what the change has been.

Jay

I'm removing centennial completely from the next version.

I don't miss it very much.

Dude said:
I'm removing centennial completely from the next version.

I don't miss it very much.

Sounds good..I love the other two and think the cenntennial is great all by itself..so really wanted to be sure. I hate hop shortages..otherwise I would make pliny several times a year..but now..LOL

Jay

Looks like I am going to brew this one. I really love Simcoe and Amarillo, used them in a DFH 60 min clone but want something I can drink a bit more of....

Does the malt need to be tasted before crushing?

Beerrific said:
Looks like I am going to brew this one. I really love Simcoe and Amarillo, used them in a DFH 60 min clone but want something I can drink a bit more of....

Does the malt need to be tasted before crushing?

It can be toasted crushed or uncrushed. I've done it both ways with good results, you just have to watch it closer if it is crushed. You don't want it roasted, you want it toasted. ;)

OK I finally got around to brewing this. I am a bit short on simcoe and amarillo and plan on a few IPAs with them..So I changed it up a bit and used .5 oz of summit at 60 and 20 min. The IBU was around 50 so close..I will update. I have 14 OZ of summit and have heard good things so heres hoping!! The beer looks a nice deep shade of light red.. OG 1.06 so a bit high..but should be very tsasty...fermentation in 4 hrs...:rockin:

Jay

Update and heads-up

I have two batches dry-hopping right now. I substituted biscuit for the toasted pale as an experiment in one of them. The biscuit batch has a distinct sourness to it at this point. With some help from my LHBC, I have pretty much ruled out infection, and narrowed it down to using too much biscuit as called for in pro-mash while adjusting my efficiency. Anybody considering victory or biscuit should be warned that you will not get the same effect as a light home toast. I'm not sure how this will play out in the finished product, but the difference at this point is very noticeable.

Best
KD

How much biscuit did you use? I have a hard time imagining that you'd get a sour flavor from that malt, regardless of how much you used.

the_bird said:
How much biscuit did you use? I have a hard time imagining that you'd get a sour flavor from that malt, regardless of how much you used.

I did a no-sparge batch, using 18%/3 lbs. biscuit. What else do you think it could be?

Dude said:
3 lbs of biscuit? OMFG. I'm surprised it doesn't taste like straight up dookie.

Yeah, well what can I say. It sounded good for a minute. :) Lol. Live and learn.
The guy at my LHBS said just sub it out for my toast. In all fairness, I didn't give him any details.

A bit of an update..
4 days after fermentation began..OG 1.058..FG 1.012..gotta love s05

It tastes great!! I had a bit higher IBU..and with 1.012 was expecting a bitter beer out of primary but tasted great!! The aroma is not all there but it is young and after 2 weeeks marinading in the secondary with some hops it shuld be fantastic!! I really was surprised as how clean and good it was after only 6 days. If history should hold up in 2 weeks this should be one tasty beer..

I also love the red color the toasted malt gave..very nice

Jay

discgolfin said:
A bit of an update..
4 days after fermentation began..OG 1.058..FG 1.012..gotta love s05

It tastes great!! I had a bit higher IBU..and with 1.012 was expecting a bitter beer out of primary but tasted great!! The aroma is not all there but it is young and after 2 weeeks marinading in the secondary with some hops it shuld be fantastic!! I really was surprised as how clean and good it was after only 6 days. If history should hold up in 2 weeks this should be one tasty beer..
I also love the red color the toasted malt gave..very nice
Jay

Yes, agree on the Safeale 05. The stuff is just a pleasure to use. My latest batch finished out at 1.085, over 80% attenuation (not sure what caused the over attenuation). You better start your next batch; this stuff doesn't last long. I kegged after 3 weeks, and it was really good. last part of keg probably was a bit better. I think this beer drinks great at 4 weeks.

korndog said:
Yes, agree on the Safeale 05. The stuff is just a pleasure to use. My latest batch finished out at 1.085, over 80% attenuation (not sure what caused the over attenuation). You better start your next batch; this stuff doesn't last long. I kegged after 3 weeks, and it was really good. last part of keg probably was a bit better. I think this beer drinks great at 4 weeks.

4 weeks is good to know..I think with the lower IBU and high hop flavor and aroma that 4 to 8 weeks would be the best..I have found that in IPA's 3 months to 4 months they start to be best..becasue the bitter cools down more. I subbed summit in as my 60 min and 20 min addition becasue I have a pound of the stuff..not sure how much it will change the overall beer..im sure some.

Jay

Ah, another Lakewalk to the keg. Finally!
I have a question. I am going to take this to my LHBC for a tasting, and am not sure if I should categorize it as an IPA or an APA. The IBU are well over according to my software. Any thoughts?

IMG_0116-1.jpg

korndog said:
Ah, another Lakewalk to the keg. Finally!
I have a question. I am going to take this to my LHBC for a tasting, and am not sure if I should categorize it as an IPA or an APA. The IBU are well over according to my software. Any thoughts?

APA. Just because a brewing software says it is slightly over the limits doesn't necessarily mean it is.

As I've said before, despite amarillo being higher in AA%, it is a softer bitterness.

I just don't think LWPA can be classified as an IPA.

Enter it as both though, and see what happens. I'd be curious to see what the judges say about the differences in between the two styles.

Dude said:
APA. Just because a brewing software says it is slightly over the limits doesn't necessarily mean it is.

As I've said before, despite amarillo being higher in AA%, it is a softer bitterness.

I just don't think LWPA can be classified as an IPA.

Enter it as both though, and see what happens. I'd be curious to see what the judges say about the differences in between the two styles.

OK, good idea. I'll give it a shot!

Hey Dude;

Stirred your LWPA up for a family/friends get together weekend, and it was so good that I think I hooked two more guys on homebrewing. The ~5 gallons of finished product lasted all of two nights. Thanks for the recipe, and for tipping me off to Simcoe...now my hop of choice.

So...those of you that have brewed this and drank it...what is your opinion on the bitterness vs. what the software says? Do you agree with me that the software kind of goes overboard?

BTW, I officially edited the recipe to eliminate the Centennial. I still may use Centennial again someday, but during the hop crisis, it is gone.

I agree with your assessment Dude. I brought some to a club brew session last week, and it went quickly. I had brought three bottles for a competition but the got popped open by popular demand. I need to bottle some more now. Some thought it was IPA range, others thought it was a higher IBU APA. This batch had a little more grapefruit to it than last. Not sure why. Anyway, I am going to enter it in the APA category and see what happens from the judges on the IBU's. Delicious and drinkable beer, either way.

Back