Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone... got a 3 gallon oak barrel and I have been aging my RIS and about to bottle. I have sulphur strips to keep the barrel clean while I'm waiting on my Barleywine to finish up. Anyone have any experience with the actual procedure of burning the sulphur inside the barrel and how its done correctly? thanks!

I just received a 5 gallon barrel and I was wondering the same thing. Would the sulfur strip effect my barley wine?

I have used the sulphur strip with success! Just make sure the barrel doesnt dry out and try to prevent the sulphur strip from falling into the barrel when burning it. Its a pain in the butt to get out!

Before you go igniting a sulfur strip in a barrel, make sure you REALLY NEED TO fit your situation/barrel.

Read this document.

For small homebrewing barrels, and barrels that contain SPIRIT fumes, burning sulfur is NOT necessary unless you're opting for long term dry storage. If you're going to keep the barrel filled, even between batches, then 190 degree water, and water and spirits are sufficient.

I've had my 50th birthday barleywine in my barrel for a year, and I'm just going to do the hot water fill with bourbon after and get it filled with a new beer within a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back