Whats this white crap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pissedalot

Reaction score
It looks like a fungal mycelium? :(
Is it safe to drink? Or shall I give it to the wife?

image-1290537444.jpg

Looks find to me. This is the empty space at the top of the carboy, right?

Colonies left from fallen krausen would be my guess. I won't be worried about it unless it smells or tastes bad.

No this is the shoulder of the fermentation bottle, i only started this stout on Monday.
The bit in question is just left of the light reflection.
Sorry my iPad isn't a very good camera.

Yep, nothing wrong here. That's just the remains of your krausen from when the vigorous fermentation was going on. Totally normal and fine. Enjoy - it looks like it'll be a tasty beer.

It's brewer's yeast.

It goes a little crazy generating yeasty foam during the most active phase of fermentation (this is called krausen), and leaves that residue behind after the krausen falls back into the beer.

I totally didn't see the white stuff in the first pic. Blended in to the reflection of your lights in the carboy.

The 2nd pic looks a little more worrisome (for me, but i'm just a noob). Interested to see more opinions. Free bump :)

Was looking at the orange lattice of yeast.

The white stuff is probably fine. The only real way to know is to wait, sniff and taste.

There's many perfectly harmless white spore colonies, to include penicillin. Usually it's the black ones that you should be worried about.

Back