Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for me over on the B&B forums under the name Brewshooter. Actually, look for me on a lot of forums under that name as someone else is taking the name Shooter everywhere else I join.

0a9cdc7c-0172-44b9-a76c-f1446fc49b1f.png

Ace_Club said:
Still waiting for my new razors to arrive. Can't wait to try the Fat Boy.

Bozo has likewise been wet with anticipation. He even bought some lingerie.

I have joined the club. My EJ DE89 showed up in the post today. Looking forward to using it. It is a great looking razor.

8096912833_54f5f87044_z.jpg

I found feathers a bit harsh for my EJ89

I usually find that the milder the razor, the milder the blade is better suited to it

so my fatboy excels with a feather on its more aggressive settings

the EJ89 is great with a trig or Astra

my superspeed and techs are much better with Derbys

and so on

I know the Fatboy is not the most aggressive razor around, but I've never got on with more aggressive razors than it

Just received my Fat Boy in the mail. It's in pretty good shape with no rust and only soap scum. I can't wait to get it cleaned up and start trying it out.

I had been wanting to get an old school razor for a while. I mentioned it to my grandmother (who is 89 years old) and she said, "Hey! I still have your grandfathers old razor." They had kept them over the years and never thrown them away. She gave me two of them. I love using them, and it means a lot to me because they were my grandfathers -- who passed away a few years ago. I use the Wilkinson Sword blades in them. Talk about a good shave!

I had been wanting to get an old school razor for a while. I mentioned it to my grandmother (who is 89 years old) and she said, "Hey! I still have your grandfathers old razor." They had kept them over the years and never thrown them away. She gave me two of them. I love using them, and it means a lot to me because they were my grandfathers -- who passed away a few years ago. I use the Wilkinson Sword blades in them. Talk about a good shave!

What kind are they?

My son cleaned up my fathers DE and uses it, too.

I used my DE89 today for the first time. I was a bit nervous thinking I would be bleeding profusely at the end of it. But really it was nice and easy. I had a good two weeks worth of growth that I tamed down with the beard trimmer first. I nicked my neck but I think that was down to my technique more than anything. I quite enjoyed the experience. I went with two passes and had great results. I will never go back to cartridges.

It might have been answered somewhere in the previous 98 pages but has anyone had issues carrying their DE in their carry on luggage?

I used my DE89 today for the first time. I was a bit nervous thinking I would be bleeding profusely at the end of it. But really it was nice and easy. I had a good two weeks worth of growth that I tamed down with the beard trimmer first. I nicked my neck but I think that was down to my technique more than anything. I quite enjoyed the experience. I went with two passes and had great results. I will never go back to cartridges.

It might have been answered somewhere in the previous 98 pages but has anyone had issues carrying their DE in their carry on luggage?

Might have to keep the blades in check-in.

I know it's not really a good thing, but I like a little burn in my aftershave!
Since I don't butcher my face and head any more, it feels really nice to sash some alcohol on fresh skin.
I will admit to adding quite a bit of glycerin to my aftershaves... And yes, I do buy it from the wine making supply section!

A new super stainless, Merkur slant, no pre-shower, and not enough time to shave left my neck looking like a constellation of red stars.

A splash of witch hazel made it all go away.

Two minutes with an old toothbrush and some Kaboom and my 1959 Fat Boy (E1 code) is spotless and looks brand new. If the seller had put a little effort into cleaning it, they could have gotten probably 6x the price I paid for it.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Ace_Club said:
Two minutes with an old toothbrush and some Kaboom and my 1959 Fat Boy (E1 code) is spotless and looks brand new. If the seller had put a little effort into cleaning it, they could have gotten probably 6x the price I paid for it.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

I just polished my fat boy as well. Wait...

It's amazing how some razors clean up

I got this NEW Deluxe for about £9 iirc, cleaned it up, used it, found it wasn't for me and sold it for £65

E1qrW.jpg

sru6A.jpg

Now if only homebrewing could yield similar profits for so little effort

I just used MWF for the 1st time! 3 hours later my face still feels BBS. My cheeks feel like pillows!

My skin is VERY sensitive. I've been shaving for 50 years. I've never felt like this before! :D

Slyko said:
I just used MWF for the 1st time! 3 hours later my face still feels BBS. My cheeks feel like pillows!

My skin is VERY sensitive. I've been shaving for 50 years. I've never felt like this before! :D

Which is BBS? And MWF?

Drinking... Needs explanation!!

I am an avid Fat user... And I like it... However... I am tellin you guys the palmolive shave sticks have way more slickness and protection. The smell is kinda different actually I like it better than the Fat but yea. Try one of the palmolive sticks and you will not be disappointed. I have mine milled into a little storage bowl with a screw on lid. They both have tallow in it so for those that never stray from the animal fat can use without worry.

My biggest issue is the moisturizer abilities of MWF. Lather is secondary. I can always Uberlather if that's an issue. Does the Palmolive have the lanolin & moisturizer abilities? Protection???? that could be close............... but the pre-shave of simple olive oil & caster oil gives protection & slickness unsurpassed.

Although it gets you closer to cooking. :D I know I know, it's a stretch.

OK. http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=6677&title=palmolive-soap-stick&cat=40 I'll put it on my Wish List @ WCS!

The palmolive stick is great value but of the soaps I have I'd rate the speick stick and MWF well above it.

My wife got me some soaps from The Handmade Soap Co. They get bad reviews, but I like them.

I've also began using more soap and less water to make lather. Seems I was being too stingy on the soap before.

Stumbled upon a great neck shave this weekend. It was all in the angle. Previously I was going way, way too aggressive and that was leading to lots of irritation. It's amazing that the razor shaves just fine, even when it doesn't necessarily feel like it is.

Stumbled upon a great neck shave this weekend. It was all in the angle. Previously I was going way, way too aggressive and that was leading to lots of irritation. It's amazing that the razor shaves just fine, even when it doesn't necessarily feel like it is.

DE or Straight?

I stumbled upon a brick and mortar. IIRC, they used to occupy a corner of a furniture store in a relatively ignored covered mall. The furniture store closed down. Just learned that they relocated the shave shop across town.

$25 straight shave. A far cry away from the 2 bits of yore.

GilaMinumBeer said:
DE or Straight?

I stumbled upon a brick and mortar. IIRC, they used to occupy a corner of a furniture store in a relatively ignored covered mall. The furniture store closed down. Just learned that they relocated the shave shop across town.

$25 straight shave. A far cry away from the 2 bits of yore.

DE. The twins have not been affording me the time to practice with the straight.

Tried the Fat Boy this morning with a Super Max SS blade. I kept the setting at 1 for the whole shave. Wow. Just wow. Fantastic shave, no weepers, no razor burn. It's a little less than BBS smooth in places, so I think I can increase the setting for the next time. But, damn, this is a great razor. Worth all $10 that I spent. :ban:

Back