Using old yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellarstar

Reaction score
Am going to make same brew as got on at moment, how do I re-use yeast cake? How much to add? How to store? Cheers

I reuse a yeast cake every other batch, just pour the wort on it.

Lots of people warn about over pitching. but no one can tell the difference between a fresh pitch and a cake pitch of the same recipe.

Happens all the time. Some wil wask and store, some just pitch on the old cake. Some things to consider:

1. Always pitch to a darker recipie of a recipie of the same color. Pithching to a lighter wort will likely impart flavors you did not intend.
2. Having a cake hanging around for a prolonged period of time will increase the likelyhood that bacteria will infect the cake. Personally I would wash and store the cake unless I was planning to use it within 24 hours.
3. If you ae interested in yeast propogation, consider harvesting, either from a spent cake or (as I do) from a split starter.

Back