Newbie to brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooglebass

Reaction score
I started with making some hard cider a few weeks back. I had all intents to use my great fermentation's easy wheat kit, i got back in February this year. Sadly i dont think my hops and grains are still good. I had them stored in a tupperware container, but it wasnt sealed well. Lid wasnt pushed on it all the way. So i think they are stale, if they do go stale this is?

I still have my LME, Briess Bavarian Wheat Liquid Malt Extract, 3.3 lbs to be exact. I was wondering what would it take to use that in for a Paulaner-style HefeWeizen, or a basic hefe. I am only planing on doing a 2.5 gallon batch. I looked at the paulaner recipe on here, but if i cant do that with what i have can i use the LME instead of the DME on the simple hefeweizen in the recipe index? Thanks

Well your grains are probably stale (you can taste them to be sure, they will taste like cardboard if they are). Are your hops pellets or whole leaf? If they are whole leaf they will turn brown but pellets will smell sulfery if bad. the LME is likely still good but you must gather more specialty grains to do the hefewiezen.

The conversion info I have is: Generally, 1 pound grain = .75 pounds LME = .6 pounds DME.
I do all grain so I can't vouch for the ratio but I think I copied it from this forum.
The worst that will happen is that you'll end up with beer:mug:
It just might be slightly different from what you expect.

One Question: are you in it to learn? If YES, Brew it per recipe, then buy a fresh recipe and brew it the day you bring it home! Compare the two. You'll learn a chapter's worth of info. And you'll have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.,
IF no, and you're looking for a quick batch of hooch, mix it with apple juice and an oz of fresh hops and hope for the best.

Hops are pellets, They are still green. Ill taste the grains tomorrow. The LME is still sealed and all that, so i am assuming that it is still good. I have looked and found my grains for the simple hefe at the northern brewer. Which I should always get them crushed, correct? I know most recipes are for 5 gallons. Its like cooking, if i want a 2.5 batch i just half the ingredients also?

Yup, just half the ingredients, but the cooking times remain constant. Yeast pitching can get tricky when alter batch size. But just throw in the packet they gave you and you should be fine

Back