My new Kal clone...Almost there!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bufitfn

Reaction score
I have to start by saying; Kal your instructions on building this cannot be topped!
I can do anything mechanically, but electronics blows my mind! After building this, I hit the power and EVERYTHING worked perfectly!
I actually built my brewery under my front porch, the same as Kal. I am doing finishing touches on this, but I know I will love it.
Just wanted to share.
Dave

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Thanks much guys! I'll get some more pics soon. can't wait for the first brew.

I like the grey colour! Very nice!

40422d1323688007-my-new-kal-clone-almost-there-003.jpg

All you're missing are the handles (guards)! EDIT: Looks like there's no heat sink either. Did I miss it?

Is that a custom stainless vent hood like mine as well? It's hard to tell. Looks nice though!

Oh, and your kettles are backwards. ;)

Kal

Hey Kal, still working on the handles, yes there is a 4x11x1.5 heatsink (flash hid it)
I found that stainless hood locally for $150, its 24x48. a little short but it works great, I'm usind a 6" inline fan to exhaust
and I wanted the boil kettle next to the sink because that is the one that needs the most cleaning.(So actually YOUR kettles are backwards) in the USA sinks are on the right,LOL. I also mounted the boxes for the heating elements on the back of the kettles, I think it's nice not seeing them and it protects them being against the wall.
I did a test run tonight and NO LEAKS! heated 20 gallons of water to 180 in the HLT pumped to the mash tun, then to the boil kettle. all worked fine.
44 minutes to heat 20 gallons from 52 deg to 180. I'm happy about that, I was worried about how long those elements would take, but no problem! I'm starting to think the timer flashing problem is a cold temp issue, under my porch it gets to about 45 degrees now, but when I turn on the heat in about 5 minutes it seems to work fine.( I don't think the Aubers like the cold)

I'm starting to think the timer flashing problem is a cold temp issue, under my porch it gets to about 45 degrees now, but when I turn on the heat in about 5 minutes it seems to work fine.( I don't think the Aubers like the cold)
If you look at their product page it says it works from 0-60'C so it shouldn't be an issue. Sounds defective to me, possibly a bad connection.

Kal

Latest posts

Back