WLP500 or 530 for tripels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast in a tripel?

Results are only viewable after voting.

rexbanner

Reaction score
It's too late for mine, I went with 500, but which do you prefer? I picked 500 because I like Chimay white, but it really doesn't taste like it uses 500. The red does, but not the white, the white tastes spicier. Is there a way to use temps to achieve a good spicy tripel taste?

530 seems like it works well in quads, but I am not a fan of Westmalle tripel. It's all preference though.

I've got a starter going from harvested yeast from a bottle of Chimay White for my next Belgian. I guess that is basically WLP500.

I've got a starter going from harvested yeast from a bottle of Chimay White for my next Belgian. I guess that is basically WLP500.

Do you think Chimay White tastes like 500? It really doesn't taste very fruity to me. Maybe it's in my head though after drinking Red and brewing dubbels with 500.

I'm not really sure yet. I used WLP 500 on a tripel that I kegged a month ago, but it is sour and not fruity at all. Not sure if it got infected or if it just needs more time.

It's been awhile since I had any. I'll go get a little taste right now.

Still sour. I can't taste or smell any pear, banana, apricot or any other fruit flavors. I fermented in the low 70s.

I'll let you know of the results of the ale I make with the yeast from the Chimay White bottle, but that will be awhile.

I say 530. But that is only because my personal preference with belgians is more phenolics and less esters. Some people prefer the opposite.

The yeast I harvested from the bottle of Chimay is awesome!!!

I made a beer with it and it turned out AWESOME! One of the best beers I have ever made! I fermented at a solid 75°F. It has a lemon aroma and flavor with some hints of banana.

I did not get this great flavor from WLP500.

LOL. I just recently met LVBen. I will be speaking to you about your impressions of 500 vs Chimay dregs upon our next Gauntlet encounter if not sooner sir.

Back