Batch #1 under my belt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidr2340

Reaction score
Yesterday was the big day!
Got up early, on a nice sunny day, and brewed my extract kit (American Amber) from my B3 order!
It was pretty nerve racking for me... running around like a chicken with my head cut off!!! Here are a few pictures...

Why yes... I DID have a little boil over!!!
Homebrew2-17-06009.jpg

Homebrew2-17-06012.jpg

And, after 24hrs...

Homebrew2-17-0624hrs-1.jpg

I know I do more lurking than posting around here, but I just want to give a big thanks to all of you, for the wealth of knowledge to be found here!!!
Looking forward to many more batches!!!

:mug:

Thanks,
David

40 Views and only 1 reply?
This is a nice post and everyone loves pictures. :)

Thanks for sharing! :mug:
I know I do more lurking than posting around here, but I just want to give a big thanks to all of you, for the wealth of knowledge to be found here!!!
Dont worrie with the more time you spend here you will soon become a dirty post whore.

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
40 Views and only 1 reply?
This is a nice post and everyone loves pictures. :)

Thanks for sharing! :mug:

Dont worrie with the more time you spend here you will soon become a dirty post whore.

That's what I'm afraid of!!! ;)

David

david good job! The next 6 weeks are going to be the longest of your life! the second batch goes quicker. :)

Rook said:
david good job! The next 6 weeks are going to be the longest of your life! the second batch goes quicker. :)

Thanks bro!
I'm kegging it, so I hope it's not 6 weeks out!!! :drunk:
It could be though... I'm clueless about kegging it!!! :confused:

David

Ok...
Been in secondary for almost two weeks now (Saturday)!
Now, tomorrow I have the day off, so I think it's going to get kegged. Again, this is my first batch, so does anyone have any helpful advice for kegging? I'd like to start drinking it 3-4 days after kegging, but I want it done right!

Thanks all!!!

well chill your beer for 12-24 hours and force carb. you'll be drinking your beer in 48 hours!

cheers!

A bit of advice and a mistake I made last time, check your keg BEFORE putting beer into it! check for any leaks or air in your lines. Trust me you dont want to dump a 5 gallon batch and find out you have a problem somewhere. :0

newguy said:
well chill your beer for 12-24 hours and force carb. you'll be drinking your beer in 48 hours!

cheers!

A bit of advice and a mistake I made last time, check your keg BEFORE putting beer into it! check for any leaks or air in your lines. Trust me you dont want to dump a 5 gallon batch and find out you have a problem somewhere. :0

Thanks for that... I will check keg BEFORE!!!

What an awesome kettle. Where did you pick that badboy up. Ive done 20 batches and still am using a 8 gallon aluminum POS.

Damn! You went all out with that "starter" kit. My first kit was about $70 bucks. Yes, I'm just jealous. Good start! I hope you already have another batch going.. or at least in the planning stages.

omniscientomar said:
Damn! You went all out with that "starter" kit. My first kit was about $70 bucks. Yes, I'm just jealous. Good start! I hope you already have another batch going.. or at least in the planning stages.

I figured I'd be upgrading anyway, so...
Planning on getting up early tomorrow for batch #2!!! :ban:

Thanks!

that is a serious freaking starter kit.. If id only realized how addicting this hobby is I would have splurged a little more at the beginning.. I did get a kit w/ two glass carboys however :)

Boil over with a 9 gallon kettle? You must have really not been paying attention:drunk: :D

Congrats on the brew and the kit, thats good stuff right there!

Dan

Willsellout said:
Boil over with a 9 gallon kettle? You must have really not been paying attention:drunk: :D

Congrats on the brew and the kit, thats good stuff right there!

Dan

Yeah, yeah... ;)

Hopefully this time... NO BOIL OVER!!!

newguy said:

cheers!

After I rack my beer to the keg, I need to purge it right? Then let it chill for 12-24hrs., then force carb?

Thanks again guys!!!

davidr2340 said:
Yesterday was the big day!
Got up early, on a nice sunny day, and brewed my extract kit (American Amber) from my B3 order!
It was pretty nerve racking for me... running around like a chicken with my head cut off!!! Here are a few pictures...

Why yes... I DID have a little boil over!!!
Homebrew2-17-06009.jpg

Homebrew2-17-06012.jpg

And, after 24hrs...

Homebrew2-17-0624hrs-1.jpg

Looking forward to many more batches!!!

Thanks,
David

Oh man!!!
I racked this to the keg yesterday, and let it chill overnight. Today, I force carbed, and had my first sample... HOLY SH*T!!! Damn good swill if I don't say so myself!!! It's not very clear at the moment, but it should settle down a little... I hope! If not, oh well! It tastes GREAT!!!

Once again, thanks to all of you for answering all my NEWB questions, and making this place the best Homebrew BB around!!!

Back