Has anyone "converted" a bayou classic to look like a Blichmann?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digphish

Reaction score
I am looking for a new kettle, and was thinking about buying the blichmann, but can't seem to pull the trigger considering the price/value. I was thinking about buying a SS bayou classic and adding to it. Has anyone added a ball valve, thermometer, and maybe sight glass to it and save enough money for the effort versus buying a blichmann or polar?

10g setup

Kettle - $96

Weldless ball valve - $17.44
1/2" street elbow $3.02 Buy Fittings Online 4-D http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6151.htm
1/2" close nipple $1.72 Buy Fittings Online 27-4P1-1/8 http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6592.htm
1/2" ball valve $8.20 KLG Stainless INC - Ebay.com
1/2" Stainless Steel Washer $2.50 Bargain Fittings
1/2" Stainless Steel Locknut $1.75 Bargain Fittings
1/2" Silicon O-ring size 211 $0.25 Bargain Fittings

Sight glass - $24.95

Thermometer - $78.99

=$217.38 with no shipping costs from pretty much the cheapest suppliers that exist.

10g Blichmann - $308.99

So for $91.61 you get nicer components but more or less the same functionality. The choice is up to you, yo ho.

10g setup

Kettle - $96

Weldless ball valve - $17.44
1/2" street elbow $3.02 Buy Fittings Online 4-D http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6151.htm
1/2" close nipple $1.72 Buy Fittings Online 27-4P1-1/8 http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6592.htm
1/2" ball valve $8.20 KLG Stainless INC - Ebay.com
1/2" Stainless Steel Washer $2.50 Bargain Fittings
1/2" Stainless Steel Locknut $1.75 Bargain Fittings
1/2" Silicon O-ring size 211 $0.25 Bargain Fittings

Sight glass - $24.95

Thermometer - $78.99

=$217.38 with no shipping costs from pretty much the cheapest suppliers that exist.

10g Blichmann - $308.99

So for $91.61 you get nicer components but more or less the same functionality. The choice is up to you, yo ho.

Well, you could go a bit cheaper. Nobody needs an $80 analog thermometer. There are plenty of cheap ones that could be added, and still maintain functionality.

Also, if you bought polycarbonate tubing yourself, you could probably get the sight glass under $15, although a $9 saving probably aint worth it.

I think you could probably do similar for about $150.

How much do you enjoy building/modding brewing equipment? Some people love it as much as brewing itself so diy is the way to go there. Some feel building brewing equipment is just tedious work and would rather pay more for a turnkey item/system.

I don't want to build I just want to brew and while I'm not rich I'm not poor either so the turnkey item works better for me. But it's entirely a personal preference.

Spanish hit it on the head. Also, I posted the cheapest (mostly) solution available. If you quote out the Blichmanns with comparable quality components they turn out to be a good deal.

Has anyone added a ball valve, thermometer, and maybe sight glass to it and save enough money for the effort versus buying a blichmann or polar?
Depends on the depth of your pockets and the size of your ego. Got the 15 gallon pot at a Cabela's close-out, valve from Bargain Fittings, Sight Glass from Bobby_M, thermometer and immersion heater from eBay. Right around $100 for everything, but you need patience and time. It's not blichmann quality, but you can't tell the difference by tasting the beer.

Electric03.jpg

It is definitely a loosy-goosy term. As we showed above, you can buy all the components new that will function the same way (pretty much) for less and a bit of elbow grease (and some tools).

My value of the product comes in that all the components are literally top of the line and put together in a very nice package. Others don't put value ont hat kind of thing, and obviously don't own Blichmann kettles :D

Depends on the depth of your pockets and the size of your ego. Got the 15 gallon pot at a store close-out, valve from Bargain Fittings, Sight Glass from Bobby_M, thermometer and immersion heater from eBay. Right around $100 for everything, but you need patience and time. It's not blichmann quality, but you can't tell the difference by tasting the beer.

Electric03.jpg
Very nice AnOldUR! How much for you to build me one?:D

Back