Recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
So I've been reading and thinking about getting back into brewing and have come up with a few gluten free recipes to try to make beers of the styles I miss. I'd like a little feedback before I get started. I didn't fire up any full out recipe calculators so these are ballpark numbers.

Wit/Belgian/Saison said:
7.5# sorghum syrup
2# light candi sugar
1.25oz styrian goldings @ 60
.5 oz saaz @ 5 minutes
healthy handful of corriander @ 5 min
big pile of orange zest @ 5 min
8oz maltodextrin
Safbrew T58

The goal is something of a hennepin/fantome style beer with that orange/coriander flavor I love.

IPA - two hearted ale clone said:
original clone recipe is 10# 2 row, 2# vienna, .5 carapils, and .5 caramel 20

9# sorghum syrup
1 oz centennial @ 60
1 oz " @ 15
1 oz " @ 1
8oz maltodextrin
danstar nottingham or S-05
1 oz " dry hop for a week

the goal is 7% kick ass IPA

Coconut porter said:
original recipe is 9#MO, .75 chocolate, and 1# crystal 60

7.5# sorghum syrup
toast and steep 24oz bag of bob's redmill mighty tasty hot cereal (brown rice, corn, white sorghum, buckwheat)
1oz NB @ 90
.75 fuggle @ 5
8oz maltodextrin
Windsor or s-05

secondary on 16oz toasted unsweetened coconut and 8oz untoasted unsweetened coconut

this one one of the best beers I ever made back in the AG days, 6%, surprisingly delicious

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I could certainly use some guidance especially with using maltodextrin and the like to try to make these fit their styles more appropriately.

I thought maybe half the bag really really dark and the other half more of a medium color but I also considered a medium toast for the whole bag and half a cup of molasses and/or a shot of coffee for color.

I think you may want to lighten up on the orange peel for the wit. In my experience the sorghum already has a bit of citrusy taste to it. It may become overly citrusy. I've also made a single hop pale ale with all centennial and it turned into a grapefruit beer. I blended it into some beer I made with chinook and turned into a pretty neat beer.

I roasted 2lbs of grains pretty dark in my oven for a 2.75gal batch, and the beer was not dark at all. Pictures are in my recipe thread in my recipe dropdown if you want to see.

I roasted 2lbs of grains pretty dark in my oven for a 2.75gal batch, and the beer was not dark at all. Pictures are in my recipe thread in my recipe dropdown if you want to see.

Bad news but certainly good to know, thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the right color?

I think I'm going to roast some grains tonight, I'll let you know what I did and post some pictures to give you an idea. I'll be roasting grains for another attempt at a gluten free stout- hopefully this time I get the dark color I want!

I think I'm going to roast some grains tonight, I'll let you know what I did and post some pictures to give you an idea. I'll be roasting grains for another attempt at a gluten free stout- hopefully this time I get the dark color I want!

Good luck. Post up how it turns out.

Good luck. Post up how it turns out.

Thanks for the reminder, I got two posts confused :D

I posted the results here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/grain-roasting-times-144842/#post1651942 the grains are a little darker than what the picture shows and I think they get a little darker while they are wafting.

Anyways, I'm going to get my hands on some wild rice and roast that like another guy did on here to use in my stout. Since wild rice is already pretty dark, hopefully roasting it will set in some more color so the wort turns black and not dark brown.

Back