White specks on carboy neck, help please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
2aeyo2c.jpg

Transferred a cranberry wine into a secondary a few weeks ago, these little white specks just popped up on the neck. Have any ideas what these may be?

Not sure what it is, but I was thinking I should rack it to another carboy just in case.

Sean

I don't know. I'd rack and add campden tablets (one per gallon, crushed and dissolved).

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like you've got some headspace. When you do rack it over, make sure you top it up. That will help protect it, too.

Cool thanks. We've already put a fermentation inhibitor (i think potassium sorbate?) in it and degassed it. Don't suppose it would hurt racking it off and adding more campden tablets (we added 2 in the begining once we crushed the cranberries and let them step in water for 3 days)

Thanks for the help!

Sean

Cool thanks. We've already put a fermentation inhibitor (i think potassium sorbate?) in it and degassed it. Don't suppose it would hurt racking it off and adding more campden tablets (we added 2 in the begining once we crushed the cranberries and let them step in water for 3 days)

Thanks for the help!

Sean

If you haven't added campden since the beginning, it's more than time to add it now. Again, next time make sure you top up so that you don't have any air in the headspace. That will help quite a bit.

Back