first all grain recipe question (how much grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wester101

Reaction score
So there are lots of recipe's but how do i know if i should buy more grain then the recipe says because i don't know what my efficency will be roughly because i have never done one? Sorry if this is a stupid question, i have got so much information on all grain my head is starting to hurt and i question if it is worth the trouble, my extract batches taste pretty darn good. Thanks for reading

On my first AG brew, I added an extra lb of 2-row to somewhat account for the efficiency I thought I would get. I was expecting around 50-60% based on what others posted. I ended up way higher than that. I would shoot your grainbill for around 65-70% efficiency or so.

Relax, it's not difficult at all. You could get some DME just in case. I always thought AG was so complicated, till I saw this video on YouTube:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHLqnWCNjE]YouTube - Easy All Grain Brewing - Batch Sparge Method[/ame]
Good luck with AG! :mug:

What's funny is this is the same video I watched that made me jump to all grain... wonder if he trolls these forums.

How much grain, you ask?

Why, all grain, of course!

WorryWort, have you been sipping from your gravity samples in your fermentation tank a little today? Honestly, you should wait until its kegged/bottled. Or at least invite me over when you do.

WorryWort, have you been sipping from your gravity samples in your fermentation tank a little today? Honestly, you should wait until its kegged/bottled. Or at least invite me over when you do.

Today no. Today it's just unfermented sweet-wort with vodka.

Today no. Today it's just unfermented sweet-wort with vodka.

I never thought of that. Now I know what to do with my hydrometer sample after the boil. Before it was just too sweet to pleasurably take down. :rockin:

Back on topic, I would go one of two ways. If my kettle was large enough, I would estimate a 60% efficiency. If I got 75%, I would make a larger batch and leave some behind in the kettle.

If my kettle wasn't very large, I would assume a 70-75% efficiency and buy enough extract to complete the batch in the event that I got 60%.

I've heard Jamil say that with up to 30-40% extract, you won't be able to tell the difference (assuming you have a quality extract). I plan to always have extract available in case I miss my target efficiency.

I would recommend you just add a pound like previously suggested. Then RDWHAHB. I was all nerves about going all grain for months before I actually made the jump. Now I can't believe I waited, I'm doing things with beers that I onll dreamed of before. Things like adding 3# of rye to a pale ale, or a Munich SMaSH. You will be fine. Enjoy the experience.

What I have been doing for my first few AG batches, is doing a longer boil and target the recipe for the high end of the OG range I am looking for.

This was instead of hitting a low OG with my crappy efficiency, I usually hit the middle range (although my final volume is a little bit low of course).

I figure once my efficiency gets better, if ever, then all I would need to do is add water after the boil if the OG goes to high. And from then on go back to a regular boil time.

Back