yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubicus360

Reaction score
How detremental is the gravity of the starter? I read it's best between 1.030-1.040. However mine was at 1.070. I used the recomended amounts of water and DME, 1pint water to 1/2 cup dme. I boiled for 15 minutes and ended up with the high gravity. What's y'all's take on the possible outcome?

How detremental is the gravity of the starter? I read it's best between 1.030-1.040. However mine was at 1.070. I used the recomended amounts of water and DME, 1pint water to 1/2 cup dme. I boiled for 15 minutes and ended up with the high gravity. What's y'all's take on the possible outcome?

If you used 1/2 cup DME and 1 pint of water, the OG has to be 1.040 or so. I guess if you really packed the DME tight in the measuring cup, maybe it could be higher. I don't know how it could be possible otherwise for 1/2 cup DME to give you that high of a SG.

Anyway, the point of a starter is to grow yeast, without stressing them, especially for a high gravity fermentation. What I would do is add some water (if you're absolutely certain of that crazy SG) to dilute it to 1.040 or so as to not stress the yeast before you begin.

What do I do with LME to make my starter?
The instructions on the pack only mention DME.

It's a Wyeast Propagator pack.

Back