A bit confused about gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeWhite

Reaction score
So I am fresh out the box to making wine. I got my 1 gal kit (due to space) and some books. Got a run going, sg was perfect per what it called for. What I don't understand is it says once the final gravity reaches 1.000 rack it in bottles. But according to my hydrometer, that would be 0% alcohol...... Am I missing something? Are all home brewers making non alcoholic wine? Lol

Thanks in advanced and I can't wait to share stories and recipes

The hydrometer can only measure sugars that are present in the liquid. So when it hits FG, it measures what sugar left -- wine is usually very dry, so it is about 0. You have to calculate the ABV by using math and/or a computer program or app. Like the person who first responded, you are subtracting OG less FG then applying a formula. My hydrometer came with a little scroll like piece of paper which gives this same instruction, or it might be printed on the tool itself.

You don't want to bottle your wine when it gets to 1.000! Most wines will finish at .990 or so- and if your wine does, too, that means bottle bombs.

What kind of kit do you have? That will help us give you advice on it.

A hydrometer does not measure alcohol, ever.

All it does is tell you how "thick" a liquid is. Thats all it can do.

Sugar-water is pretty thick (1.080 to 1.100 or so). Straight water is exactly 1.000. Pure alcohol is 0.789. A combination of alcohol and water in wine is around .990.

Free chemistry lesson for today.

thanks guys! this is all great info.

I have the Vintners Best 1 Gal Wine Kit
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vintner-s-best-one-gallon-wine-equipment-kit.html

also ordered 2 more glass carboys so i can have 2 runs going if i time them correctly

And again thank you, this all does make way more sense. My blueberry strawberry wine, blew the air lock off and my banana wine is bubbling away with a blow off tube.

If you have not yet done so, find a food grade bucket to use as your primary. You can typically scrounge them from bakeries/delis--avoid the pickle ones. You will find using bucket for primary prevents explosions, allows easy access to working with fruit and stirring...then when you transfer to carboy you have no blowouts.

Great reading in general on winemaking, for beginners especially at www.winemaking.jackkeller.net

saramc said:
If you have not yet done so, find a food grade bucket to use as your primary. You can typically scrounge them from bakeries/delis--avoid the pickle ones. You will find using bucket for primary prevents explosions, allows easy access to working with fruit and stirring...then when you transfer to carboy you have no blowouts.

Great reading in general on winemaking, for beginners especially at www.winemaking.jackkeller.net

I in fact due use a primary bucket, that what it blew off of lol. Super happy yeast

Thanks again all for helping a noob

I in fact due use a primary bucket, that what it blew off of lol. Super happy yeast

Thanks again all for helping a noob

Did you snap, secure the lid on primary bucket? If so, just let the lid act as a loose cover, no snapping on, no airlock, until you rack to carboy, assuming you transfer to carboy by 2/3 sugar break or so. No explosions, no blow off tubes, and easy access for stirring and fruit manipulation...and almost always have happy, healthy yeast.
I quickly adapted to using a bucket when my carboy blew must to the ceiling and I found the bung in corner of room. We are all noob's at one time or another.

Have fun!

MrMikeWhite said:
I won't have to worry about contamination?

No. The wine yeast starts quickly covering the surface of the liquid with a blanket of CO2. After a week, check your SG. Once it reaches 1.010, transfer to your carboy.

I also assume this will help it calm down faster eh? With my first batch even the first few days in the car boy it was exciting! Lol

I also assume this will help it calm down faster eh? With my first batch even the first few days in the car boy it was exciting! Lol

Honestly varies with the yeast you are using. Some are quiet and you have to listen for the sizzle on the surface and others look like waves breaking on the surface of a lake during a storm.

Honestly varies with the yeast you are using. Some are quiet and you have to listen for the sizzle on the surface and others look like waves breaking on the surface of a lake during a storm.

Sizzle on the surface, great way to describe it! I got back into mead making recently, made a couple batches years ago. When I would pop the lid to make my staggered nutrient additions over the first few days everything looked calm, but I was treated to that crackling sound on the surface of the mead. It fermented out completely in about a week.

Back