How do you take samples from a plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackett

Reaction score
So, I want to know how to get a sample from a tap less plastic bucket.

I would think removing the lid would be a bad idea? But I don't see any other way.

How do you bucket people do it? I can see how a carboy wouldn't be a problem since the neck area is so small.

I've done it plenty of times. Just sanitize everything and do it as quickly as possible. I wouldn't do it too often, either, just once to make sure fermentation is complete.

FWIW - I never do it anymore, just out of laziness. 3-3 weeks in, I just assume it is done, and it always is.

Rip the lid off and check away... no probs. Like mentioned... don't do it over and over and over.

I like using buckets, so I can just drop a sanitized hydrometer right in the bucket to take gravity readings.

Gary

No worries on removing the lid, I do it all the time. I use a wine thief (I would suggest getting one) or you could use a turkey baster. I just gently dip in the thief and extract the wort. I try to disturb the CO2 layer as little as possible. I have yet to have an infection. Knock on wood!

I just crack mine just enough to get the wine thief in. But I don't do that many gravity readings. 3 weeks and its ready to bottle. If you plan on doing a lot of samples, get yourself a wine thief. Sanitization is key!

I've used a sanitized wine thief or a sanitized measuring cup in the past. But Old E is right on target. Leave it be for a few weeks and you won't have to worry about constantly dipping into it.

So, I want to know how to get a sample from a tap less plastic bucket.

I would think removing the lid would be a bad idea? But I don't see any other way.

How do you bucket people do it? I can see how a carboy wouldn't be a problem since the neck area is so small.

No port for an airlock? I draw out of that using a 35cc syringe with tubing attached.
If you sanitize well, you should be able to crack the lid and draw a sample without much worry. Starsan in a spray bottle comes in handy for these between-batches sanitation.

Dude, relax and take the lid off. The beer will be fine.

Yes, oxidation. Worth being conscious of. There's only so much we can do to prevent it. Taking the lid off a few times isn't any worse than the process of going to a bottling bucket.

Thanks guys.

I have a theif coming.

It would be nice to have a lid like one of those paint buckets where you can just unscrew a small cap.

It would be nice to have a lid like one of those paint buckets where you can just unscrew a small cap.

I drilled a one inch hole in my bucket lids and use a stopper and airlock just like on a carboy, when I need a sample pull it out and use thief. Much easier to remove a stopper then pry those tight ass lids off plus I think it disturbs it less over all.

Thanks guys.

I have a theif coming.

I like that idea. Wonder if a 3/4" drill bit and a 3/4" PVC cap would work? You've inspired me.

images
images

Probably wouldn't seal well around those threads. But you could epoxy the female version of that plug to the lid. Then you'd just need some Teflon tape and... This is getting too complicated. Just pull the top off.

Personally I don't like threads to many places for crap to hide and the lids are so thin would probably be easy to strip out. But you can buy solid or drilled stoppers in many sizes to add an access port on top.

I just pull the top off. But, I only open the lid a couple of times usually:

1. Pitch the yeast after the wort is at pitching temps.
2. (optional) Add dry hops or adjunct.
3. Preparing to rack to keg.

There's usually no reason to keep cracking the thing open mid-fermentation.

As for taking samples, what I do is sanitize a little taster glass or coffee/tea cup. Easy to get that thing perfectly sterilized if you boil it in water, etc. but I typically just make sure it's good and clean, and spray it with star san. Then I remove the lid, and dip the cup into the fermenter to pull my sample. No need to go crazy with a wine thief if you have open access to the wort/beer. For a carboy, naturally, the thief makes more sense.

I get my samples out of my plastic fermenters with the spigots atached to them after spraying some starsan into th spout to sanitize it first.

Probably wouldn't seal well around those threads. But you could epoxy the female version of that plug to the lid. Then you'd just need some Teflon tape and... This is getting too complicated. Just pull the top off.

Haha...yes. I think you're right.

I was thinking something more along the lines of having the male threads on the outside of the lid....

You could do something like this:

end-cap-screw.jpg

Drill a hole, insert the coupler so the threads are on the outside of the lid. Silicone it in place.

Then as long as the screw cap had a gasket on it, your golden.

Edit: I'm actually going to do this to my next fermenter.

You could do something like this:

end-cap-screw.jpg

Drill a hole, insert the coupler so the threads are on the outside of the lid. Silicone it in place.

Then as long as the screw cap had a gasket on it, your golden.

Edit: I'm actually going to do this to my next fermenter.

now that looks like a cool idea!

It seems to me, that instead of: " Drill a hole, insert the coupler so the threads are on the outside of the lid. Silicone it in place. Then as long as the screw cap had a gasket on it, your golden."

Wouldn't it be easier to just: "Drill 1inch hole, insert drilled stopper for airlock."

?

Not sure why the extra trouble....

Not trying to be a d*ck, just have a tendency to make things overcomplicated myself, and trying to prevent others from doiong the same.

Wouldn't that thing have/require a lock nut of some sort? It looks like a lock ring would be better than silicone in this situation. Plus it could be made tighter & removeable for cleaning. Just like a spigot...

LOL

I also tend to do the same. As evidenced.

Your idea would be the simplest. And easiest.

I like to keep it simple. Thus removeable for cleaning,replacement,etc. Just makes more sense to me anyway. Besides,simple is cheaper as well as easier to deal with day to day. Dang I wish this single digit storm would move on. Heater can barely keep up...

Back