Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, I know this is a philosophical issue but if we, as in anyone making this, can we really say that THIS recipe is ... well anything except a good starting point for whatever modifiations a modifier makes.
The only way you can say this recipe rocks is to make it like specified... If you read, BM took many batches to perfect, his hops type and schedule did not come out 'willy nilly' he experimented, nailed it, and won medals because of it.
So, you can say you made something with this as the base recipe and IT rocks but you can't say you made BM's recipe unless you use his proportions and hops/hop schedule.
:)
And, to this I say, at least make this as specified once or you are missing out on something really good ...

Just popped open my first one of these and holy balls is it ever tasty! 3 weeks grain-to-glass, including bottle conditioning. What a quick and easy brew; I'll definitely be rebrewing this one.

Just pulled my first beer off the keg and it looked beautiful but something was off. Mine came out about 4% abv but it has a odd burn/astringency to it that I cannot place. I have never noticed this before in any of my beers. Any idea what may be causing it?

Just pulled my first beer off the keg and it looked beautiful but something was off. Mine came out about 4% abv but it has a odd burn/astringency to it that I cannot place. I have never noticed this before in any of my beers. Any idea what may be causing it?

I had the same issue. It mellowed out after about 2 weeks in the keg. Tastes great now.

thirst4hops said:
Ok so a question for this brew.

I posted the other day about a small hop mishap. Wrong amounts from my LHBS and I didn't double check before the first addition. Other than the hops, I followed the extract recipe. Here is what ended up being my hop schedule.

.9 oz Cent. (45 m)
.3 oz Cent (20 m)
.25 oz Casc (10 m)
.3 oz Cent (5 m)
.25 oz Cent (5 m)

Here are my questions:

1) I brewed on 7/5. What are the odds of having it ready by 7/29? I normally like to try and do two weeks in primary, two weeks in secondary, 11-14 days in bottles before cracking any open. But from what I'm reading (and seeing), this beer fermented fast! I plan to take a gravity reading on Tuesday and Wednesday and see what I get. If I can rack over after one week, that gives me about a week in secondary, and 11 days in the bottle to carbonate. Am I pushing my luck?

2) I'm considering adding some lemon (or orange) zest to secondary. I figured I may as well get adventurous considering the hop bill was already eff'd. Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking for more of an aromatic than a flavor. Something subtle. If I do it, I'd be sure to only get zest and no pith, and I'd soak in vodka overnight.

Thanks!

Just opened the first bottle of my somewhat modified version of this recipe and WOW! I bought the correct ingredients and plan to brew that soon, but I'm not gonna lie - this was a very fortunate mistake! The lemon is very subtle but present, and the hops aren't at all overpowering.

image-68189268.jpg

centennialblonde.jpg

I didn't do anything to it but make it like the recipe says... it has tasted fantastic right out of the fermenter (3 weeks) until today, 3 more weeks of cold crashing and carbing..

This will always be on tap at my house :)

Next time I may change things, I may make a double batch instead! ;p

It's very clear but being 95 outside put a haze on the glass ;p

:tank:

I agree - this did come out very tasty & drinkable. Mine came out at about 5% ABV & it is incredibly drinkable for that strength! Very nice beer. However, this did lead me to a hop flavor I'm not a huge fan of - Centennial. I've been chasing a hop flavor in commercial beers that I didn't really prefer (a bit vegetative or something?) & as soon as I tried the first pint, there it was! As this beer is fairly low on hop flavors, its worked fine & is delicious. Now that I've been drinking it for the past week, I think I enjoy it in this style where it is fairly light handed. It works. I did consider just switching to all Cascade, but night after night it has grown on me. I am definitely keeping the base recipe in my play book! This would be a very fun recipe to play with & change variables, like the hop bill, to see the changes it has on the finished product. As the canvas is fairly clean on this in terms of malt bill, its a great candidate for experimentation.....

I bought the grain for this but was hoping to utilize the hops I already have. I am open to suggestions, here's what I have:

Centennial
Fuggles
Williamette
Magnum

What should I use instead of Cascade?

I'd use the centennial. You could also try Willamette, but it's a English hop derivative, so probably not as close as centennial. Either way, it's an experiment!

I brew 10g batches and i've brewed some beers with a lot of grain in a 10g round cooler, what you think is the max you can take with this recipe? 15 / 20? I did this recipe with 10g version, but wondering if I can up it somewhat :) thoughts?

I brewed a 10gln batch yesterday, it is my 2nd batch as everyone that has tried this has absolutely loved, I blew thru a corny in 1 week! Great beer, thank you for the recipe.

WOW 218 pages this must be good. but I cant read every post so Sorry if this was already asked
I want to brew this, (extract version) but I don't have carapils anyone use Crystal10 or should I just sub 4oz Maltodextrin ?

Edit: Sorry Should have been I don't have carapils anyone use Crystal 20 or should I just sub 4oz Maltodextrin ?

Used a starter this round (2nd), I am almost at 24 hours from pitching and the yeast is going nuts! I had to put both carboys (6 gallon capacity) in buckets because I am certain the krazen is going to puch the bubbler out.

ForumRunner_20120802_203708.jpg

ForumRunner_20120802_203754.jpg

Sweet Baby Jesus this beer was good. I brewed my first batch, let it primary for 10 days, dumped in keg cooled and carbed for 2. This is an outstanding beer. :mug:

Has anyone substituted Cascade for Centennial? I brewed this up about 4-5 weeks ago, and just tried it. followed the recipe but had to sub Cascade (LHBS was out of Centennial).

Maybe I'm used to stronger, heavier beers, or maybe this wasn't right, but it was just 'okay'. I got rave reviews from the one guy I know that likes the domestics...I dunno. I guess I'll save what I have left and give it away when someone comes a-knockin.

Jakeintoledo said:
Has anyone substituted Cascade for Centennial? I brewed this up about 4-5 weeks ago, and just tried it. followed the recipe but had to sub Cascade (LHBS was out of Centennial).

Maybe I'm used to stronger, heavier beers, or maybe this wasn't right, but it was just 'okay'. I got rave reviews from the one guy I know that likes the domestics...I dunno. I guess I'll save what I have left and give it away when someone comes a-knockin.

I just brewed the exact opposite Didn't have cascade and just use of centennial smell great but haven't tasted it yet I will let you know how it turns out

brewed mine up today, followed original recipe all the way. Hit my numbers right on. I did a starter with some washed nottingham, the starter almost blew out the sponge stopper i use so I expect this to be a violent fermentation and fast, which is what I am hoping for.

brewed mine up today, followed original recipe all the way. Hit my numbers right on. I did a starter with some washed nottingham, the starter almost blew out the sponge stopper i use so I expect this to be a violent fermentation and fast, which is what I am hoping for.

Jakeintoledo said:

This is definitely a beer that BMC drinkers should enjoy. A way to lure them over to the craft beer side. You could always add more base malt and/or mash higher to get a little more body. I love this recipe, I'll never make less than 10 gallon batches of it moving forward because any beer drinker can enjoy it.

Agreed, any less than 10 is setting yourself up for "Where'd it all go??".
It's an easy beer to make, doesn't cost a ton in ingredients, and the recipe as posted is perfect.
And I'm a big-beer hophead. This was one of the first all-grain beers I did a few years back, and when I made it again, I realized that it's perfect for summer.

Just got done bottleing this. Used all Centennial hops, hit the OG. Sat on the yeast cake longer than I was hoping, and got FG of 1.005. Tasted the sample, and its good so far. Pleased since this was 2nd AG, 1st that turned out.

Had a family gathering last weekend on my wife's side. My FIL is a world traveled beer connoisseur and he LOVED this one. Followed the recipe exactly and used my soft Seattle area water. I'm drinking some now. Still watching the gallon lager version clearing up before I bottle and carb. Haven't tried it at all since it's still very young.

Brewed this two days ago for my second BIAB. I didn't have Crystal 10 so I substituted Light Carastan (17L). I also used WY1450 because I'm using this recipe to grow yeast for my first attempt at Denny's Wry Smile.

:) I'm brewing my 4th batch of this today. Adding raspberries to the secondary. I know, I know. I'm just bizarre & need to get out more. :p

I tried Samuel Adams Cherry & it was great. But I got to get some hops in my system before that. Dogfish Head, 90 minute clone is next. :D

Raspberries sounds pretty good actually. FYI we cold crashed after fermentation and it cleared very quickly. Planning on reyeasting with cbc1 and bottle condition.

I just brewed this for the 4th time for the wife. This time she gave me 2 lbs of fresh picked blueberries to add after the gravity drop a little. Should be good.

I just brewed up the extract version of this recipe yesterday. The LHBS was out of Centennial so I went with a mix of Columbus and Cascade. The Columbus were 18% AA and I forgot to lower the amount accordingly, so we might end up with a little hoppier version, which will be fine with all my friends. This should make a great warm-weather tailgate beer.

I brewed this on Friday (AG version) to the T. My pre-boil gravity was only about 1.035ish. My post boil O.G came in right around the same. After some calculations, I'm looking at a 3.25 to 3.5% brew. Hopefully, it will turn out. I did the extract version in the past and didn't care for it at all. Hopefully, AG will be better. This was my second AG batch so hopefully it turns out. I'm still working on ways to improve efficiency though. I'll take 65% efficiency though for my 2nd AG brew ever I guess.

Brewnoob1 said:
I brewed this on Friday (AG version) to the T. My pre-boil gravity was only about 1.035ish. My post boil O.G came in right around the same. After some calculations, I'm looking at a 3.25 to 3.5% brew. Hopefully, it will turn out. I did the extract version in the past and didn't care for it at all. Hopefully, AG will be better. This was my second AG batch so hopefully it turns out. I'm still working on ways to improve efficiency though. I'll take 65% efficiency though for my 2nd AG brew ever I guess.

How'd you manage to finish your boil without any increase in gravity? That seems fishy.

Back