Android BrewAide-Brew Day Assistant- Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could send me your recipe file, I was only able to get beersmith to do 2 sparge steps (or are you using beerXML). That way I can look at the file and find the problem easier

Hey everyone, thread kinda died out so figured Id post and see how everyone is liking the app. Ive been busy with work and school the last couple weeks so havent been able to add any new features. Good news is the error reports have decreased to almost zero. A couple efficiency problems that have to do with people using their entire beersmith recipe list that im trying to work out. But for the most seems to be a stable version.

Anybody have any problems or dying need for something added?

everything works great for me. used it on brew day exclusively for the last 4 beers I've made. I have even used it at the LHBS when picking up specialty grains and hops. Everything was perfect and went off without any issues that could be caused or controlled by the app (Unless the app has a built in propane gauge)

Just released a small update nothing too big heres the details:

-Made the Tools save last entered data
-Fixed popup text color
-Fix some minor bugs

The tools now save last entered data, however the converters do not. Didnt see a need to save the converter data as you only need to put in one number for those.

Enjoy the new release

Running a batch tomorrow, strictly with the ap. I'm seeing a bug right now on Measured Post Boil Volume. At least for me, when trying to change it, it's not letting me at the hundreth place, and after a enter, it's sending me to the google play store to buy whatever is being advertised.

i'll let you know how smoothly it runs.
thanks

Running a batch tomorrow, strictly with the ap. I'm seeing a bug right now on Measured Post Boil Volume. At least for me, when trying to change it, it's not letting me at the hundreth place, and after a enter, it's sending me to the google play store to buy whatever is being advertised.

i'll let you know how smoothly it runs.
thanks

Weird, dont have that problem on either one of my devices and havent had any other reports of it. For the enter, make sure you arent hitting the ad by accident when hitting enter or something. Does it happen everytime you enter a value on any input or just that one? What device are you using?

Huh, must have been my big drunk thumbs, it's not doing it now. I finished my brew. Only hitch was no alarm for a 5 minute aroma hop addition. I do see that beersmith timer also messes this up, having it happen after the boil is complete. Unless I'm reading a 5 min addition wrong. DroidX Fyi.

Nice to do one without paper. Suggestion though. I really like how you have the Brix number in () next to the actual number, but for a guy like me using a refractometer, can you put another space for entering the Brix? I'm thinking linked somehow to the prefermentation tool to auto convert. Saves me from hitting the tools, and just entering. Petty? I can ask.

CK

Only hitch was no alarm for a 5 minute aroma hop addition. I do see that beersmith timer also messes this up, having it happen after the boil is complete. Unless I'm reading a 5 min addition wrong. DroidX Fyi.

Nice to do one without paper. Suggestion though. I really like how you have the Brix number in () next to the actual number, but for a guy like me using a refractometer, can you put another space for entering the Brix? I'm thinking linked somehow to the prefermentation tool to auto convert. Saves me from hitting the tools, and just entering. Petty? I can ask.

CK

For the Aroma hop, that is different than a boil addition you do later so to add more aroma and less bitter. In beersmith the aroma hop addition comes after the boil, think hopback type addition. If you are adding it in the last 5 minutes of the boil you want to use the Boil option.

As for the brix input, its a feature Ive considered many times. Ive been playing around with the idea of auto converting if the input is more than 2 as youll never have a SG greater than 2 or a brix lower than 2 and that way I could bypass all the hard stuff. Its on the list to do. But Ive been busy and since Ive got it to a stable and working release with 95% of the features I want, hasnt been on top of my priority to work on it at the moment. But as i get input from users I do make some adjustments.

Edit:
So added in the auto convert for all gravity inputs and released an update with some other minor fixes. So now anywhere that asks for an SG input can take either SG or Brix

No problem. I unnderstand the aroma addition, and your idea for the greater than 2 makes sense. Just tossing the idea out there. Otherwise, it's running smoothly, and I saved a piece of paper this brew.

And a handy tip if you have one laying around. I used an old car windshield mount for my droidx and just suctioned it onto the window next to my brewstand. Perfect, eye level, couldn't beat it.

First off, love the app. On my droidX it worked great. However I just got an S3 running ice cream sandwich, and it isn't working so good.

In Landscape orientation all of the data is piled ontop of itself, making it unreadable. In portrait everything seems to be fine.

Please see the image for a good look.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezna2wpei92cqls/2012-07-11 11.44.40.png

Thanks for the info, I guess the new galaxy s3 registers as a tablet, ill look into it over the weekend and get it fixed

If there's and additional info I can provide, or if there's anything you want me to test, let me know. I'm more than happy to help.

Just got my wife an S3 to upgrade from her Fascinate, so now the Fascinate will be added into my control panel using your app! Excited to try it out, looks great though!

If there's and additional info I can provide, or if there's anything you want me to test, let me know. I'm more than happy to help.

Just released a small update that should fix the problem. The new S3 has such a big display that it was registering it as a tablet. Put more confines on the requirements and should work now. Was only able to test on an emulator so let me know if it works.

Hope everyone is enjoying the app and just my little plug, if you want no ads or just feel like helping, donations are always appreciated and welcome

Runs pretty good on my Nexus 7 w/ Jellybean. Some of the text is too light to read, but gets the job done! I was actually going to write something similar to this, but no need to reinvent the wheel! Nice app, thanks!

Twice I've only noticed the light text on the changelog dialog box after update, but kept forgetting to update. The colour of the font is a white, and I think the colour of the dialog box is too light to clearly see it. Apart from this no issues, running great, love the tools (dilution tool is handy for me)

Minor update, just fixed the light text on the first run dialog after updates and fixed a rare random bug with the folder view (hopefully, cant reproduce the error myself so well see if I get anymore reports).

App is pretty much done now, was going to put some features in but they are really just extras and think I like it the way it is. As always though if you have any suggestions/complaints feel free to post on here and if I can, I will try to incorporate it.

after installing the update today the app kept crashing when i tried to open it - i had to uninstall and reinstall but seems to be working now (android 4.0.4 on HP touchpad with CM9mod)

perhaps I missed it but does it not read 1/2oz increments?
i've got a recipe with 5.5oz biscuit malt that reads as 5.0oz on the app
- not a big deal but was curious

will be using this for the 1st time today for my brew timers - really looking forward to it

There is another update that was just released, that fixed it, missed a small fix from testing to release that caused the problem. And should read down to 0.5 oz, gives more accurate if you unselect the option to have it be lbs/oz and just pounds, gives decimals then

terrapinj said:
after installing the update today the app kept crashing when i tried to open it - i had to uninstall and reinstall but seems to be working now (android 4.0.4 on HP touchpad with CM9mod)

perhaps I missed it but does it not read 1/2oz increments?
i've got a recipe with 5.5oz biscuit malt that reads as 5.0oz on the app
- not a big deal but was curious

will be using this for the 1st time today for my brew timers - really looking forward to it

I had the same issue with crashing and having to reinstall after the update

I'm a idiot.. Not one computer "knowledge" cell in my body
Downloaded app.. and dropbox..
So can someone tell me how to get recipes on App..
A step by step,Again I'm a idiot.

Sure, its quite easy once you figure it out.

Steps:
1. Download and install Dropbox on your computer (follow the steps on the dropbox page, let me know if you need more info)
2. Download and install app on Android device, and open up app for the first time. When asked for dropbox click yes and allow, input dropbox login data. Once this is done there will be a folder created in your dropbox folder under the Apps Folder called BrewAide (Brew Buddy for those who installed a pre 2.0 version before the name change)

That is it for the initial setup next is placing recipes in your BrewAide folder:

3. Right click on Recipe and select Export Selected
4. Browse to your Dropbox folder and put in BrewAide folder should be Dropbox\Apps\BrewAide

Now open up the brewaide app and go to folders then dropbox and it should be there. If it isnt, go to the BrewAide folder on your computer and make sure its updated.

If you want to store the recipe on your device at this point, navigate to the folder on the app click on the recipe and on the popup select copy to local folder, it will make a copy on your device so you will no longer need internet.

Hope this helps and you enjoy the app. Let me know if you need any other help with it

I just downloaded this app and I'm looking forward to using it.

One question- I can't move the app from my phone's internal memory to the SD card. That would be a really handy feature- my phone only has 213MB internal. Is there any way to do that without your intervention, or would it be possible to allow that in a future release?

@jwitt
Ill look into seeing what I need to do to make it movable to the SD card. About to go overseas so been a little busy

@opusx11
Ill add it to the list, need to see what is all involved with scaling and if it is as simple as just multiplying it by the scale factor or if it requires more thought.

Hope everyone is enjoying the app its working good for everyone, im still getting a few random errors every couple days but out of the 1600 users that currently have it installed, I guess 1-2 crashes a week is pretty good numbers. About to leave for the desert here next week, and will probably be bored some of the time so should add in a new feature or two soon, plus the couple request that have been requested.

On another note, I normally dont do this but coming across a few problems, I wanted to ask for support directly. Im currently in the process of planning/building the upgrade for my brewery. For the last 1.5 years that since I started brewing Ive been doing 5 gal BIAB batches in an 8 gallon pot with a combination of an electric turkey fryer element and propane and have had tons of boil overs, and a few close calls with boiling wort spilling. So Ive decided to build a 10gal electric arduino/android controlled brutus 20. Ive started the build and can be read here. The problem is the cost is more than expected and the air force doesnt pay me nearly enough.

So I was hoping for some support from the users of this app. I have put a ton of time and work into this app and have decided to make it free to the public to use. So for those of you using the app and havent donated Its a small donation of $5 to remove the ads and you would be helping out a fellow homebrewer. For those that have donated, first Thank You very much, and if you would like to you can always donate another $5 at any time using the same button in the app. I appreciate any help that you all might give because of this, and by no means am I trying to demand it. Its a free app and it will stay that way, just asking for a little help to build my new brewery when I come back from deployment. Thank You

Alex

Thanks and cant wait to go, its my first deployment and first time leaving the US excited to see a different part of the world

wow!! you've never been outside the US? My first base was in Germany (Mmmmm beer). Got to travel all over Europe and was even sent to Turkey/Iraq in Desert Shield/Storm/Provide Comfort. What you'll see over there will make you think about all the things we take for granted in the US every single day.

After this deployment see about getting a PCS move to either Europe or Japan. (Europe has better beer but Japan is awesome too)

Until then, be safe and get your beer in now cause ya won't in a muslim country. :mug:

Yeah, ive got another 1-2 years here in Arkansas before I PCS, but my dream sheet has yokota and ramstein as my top three (and I know theres only two yokota is 1 & 2 just different air frame)

End I have 2 kegs that are both about 2/3 full to finish drinking by tuesday, Ive got a lot of work. Especially cause I want to drink as much as possible and not share :D

Edit: So while i started to pack my dog was trying to help, so I decided to pack her

20120830_182426.jpg

I ponied up today, and used it for another brew also. Only issue I had was a "crash". Basically, the timer reset itself, and if I closed the app and went back in, it acted like I needed to restart my boil timer. I knew basically when my next addition was and damn near the same time, the alarm went off signifying 1 minute until the actual timer, boom, that went off too. but the timer wasn't actually moving. Weird. I'm going to shut it down and reset the droid, just in case it's my end, but thought I'd pass that on. Anyway, nailed temps and gravities, again.

Sweet, glad it worded for you mostly. Ill take a look at the timers and see whats going on with them. It might just be a link between the display and the timer that runs on a background thread. So the timer is still running just the display isnt updating correctly

It was just on the last brew. Almost like i was running the app 2x but could only see one (the timers that I hadn't started). I reset the phone, and will do a sample run with it. Either way, the brew went well.
I need a tablet to run this bigger though, the tiny print is tough to see in a glare.

I have another question. Instead of a full on ring when I start the timer (mash or boil), can it just beep or nothing at all? I think that alarm isn't really necessary.

And this may be my lack of know-how, but can I change the alarm sound to something else? Is that program or phone?

Thanks

Look in the settings, and help file

Help file explains what sound it uses as default. There currently isnt a way to choose the sound in program but the default tone is your alarm, then it uses notification, then it uses ringtone.

If you want noise at all if you go into settings and click off "Alert on Time" and change the "Timer Alert Time" to 0 Min there should be no noise at all

Back