Founder's Centennial IPA (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Founders Centennial IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 72%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.88%
IBU (tinseth): 65.29
SRM (morey): 10.45

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - Pale 2-Row (62.7%)
2 lb - Pale 2-Row (13.9%)
1.5 lb - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (10.5%)
0.75 lb - Munich - Light 10L (5.2%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.2%)
0.35 lb - CaraMunich (2.4%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Magnum (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 7.8) for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 7.8) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 7.8) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Centennial (AA 7.8), Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop

MASH STEPS:
1) BIAB, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 30 qt

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 57 F - 70 F

I converted the above recipe from an email on this forum from Founders which reads as follows:

skibb said:
For your grain bill, use around 10% Carapils, 5% Munich, 5% Crystal 50-60, and 2.5% Caramunich 45. Target a 16.5 Plato OG and it should terminate between 3 and 3.5 Plato. Target 65 IBUs and make sure your flavor strike in the boil and the dry hop are both enormous. Good luck, hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

What do you think? How did i do turning that email into a recipe? Feedback would be appreciated on turning the email into a recipe, not improving on the recipe in the email. Thanks so much.

Your conversion looks good. That 18% seems like a lot of caramel/crystal malts for an IPA. That will give the beer a lot of body and it may be overly sweet. If you want to stick with that recipe then I would mash at a lower temp to help thin it out. Maybe 149F - 150F for 90 minutes. I'd also add another oz to the dry hopping.

Looks pretty good from the info they gave.

+1 on adding another ounce for the dryhop. Maybe a flame out too?

bjl110 said:
Looks pretty good from the info they gave.

+1 on adding another ounce for the dryhop. Maybe a flame out too?

+1 on dry hopping, at least 2 oz. Also, for flavor strike, the big flavor addition is the 15 min, so maybe up that some, or the 15 and 10.

Why not list the 2row as 11 lbs? You using pale malt and pale ale malt?

skeezerpleezer said:
Why not list the 2row as 11 lbs? You using pale malt and pale ale malt?

That was a mistake, one listing is supposed to be british 2 row per another email from founders. Thanks for the help.

They say "enormous " for the dry hop, so I don't think 2 oz is really enough. After a lot of research here on hoppy IPAs, I've gone to 3 oz for all mine. Also convinced some friends who brew based on samples of our similar brews. Besides, if 3 is too much at first, don't worry because it will fade within a month.

Does anyone have an extract version of this recipe? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Also, any info on the fermentation schedule as far as how long primary and secondary should be, dry hopping, etc.?

Pretty close to a recipe I use for my 2 heart clone. I use less crystal and use 10l and more caramunich. Also more late hop and dry hops. Definitely a favorite .

Pretty close to a recipe I use for my 2 heart clone. I use less crystal and use 10l and more caramunich. Also more late hop and dry hops. Definitely a favorite .

Two Hearted has been my favorite for years.
The Founders Centennial is my new found favorite!!

I think it is a much more flavorful Centennial than the Two Hearted with a little less yeast "bite". I think the bite is attributed more to the bottle conditioning and off course my aggressive pour. :)

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but has anyone had any luck with this recipe? Maybe not the original recipe posted but with the few revisions on page 1?

Any updates on this? Notes or changes made?

I also don't know what the OP (From the e-mail) meant by flavor strike. Any comments?

Thanks

I just did this one again. Tried the original recipe about 6 months ago and thought it was on the malty side from the actual centennial. Dropped the crystals a touch and bumped the hops (i couldn't find any actual hop info the first time so just guessed). Just brewed it Sunday so ill try and remember to report back with the recipe i used in a month when it's pouring

Back