Help Me Install A False Floor With A Drain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewBros

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently converting my three-seasons room into my brewhouse. I am about 35% into my electric build, and I really need to have some drainage. I don't want to permanently tear up the floor, so cutting it is pretty much on the way back end of the list.

I was thinking there has got to be a false floor that will raise up about 2-3" and allow for a drain and pipeworks to empty out the drainage. It seems totalyl feasible, and I know they have similar things for animal husbandry...

Any ideas guys? Any thoughts on how to make it work? Thanks in advance!

Dane

Given this situation, I would go buy some 2x4 studs and frame in a floor, plumb in how I needed then sheet over with some subflooring...then if so desired install whatever flooring you want.

Given this situation, I would go buy some 2x4 studs and frame in a floor, plumb in how I needed then sheet over with some subflooring...then if so desired install whatever flooring you want.

If I did that, I could actually install actual brewery style drains the width of the room and have the rest covered in a plastic or industrial water proof paint...good idea! I wonder what the best way to get the slope would be...I only need a miniscule amount of grade, I suppose.

What size is your room? Also, how long is the "run" you will put the drain on? IOW, which side will the drain need to slope on? - Dwain

I would use a minimum of 1% slope to the floor and the drain. Steeper is OK, but the less slope you have the less noticeable it is that the floor is not perfectly level. Consider sloping the floor to the center from both sides in a wide "V", then slope the "V" toward the door or wherever you want it to outlet. You could also do this to one side or the other. You can avoid having to install drains and piping with this configuration. I would line the floor with some type of membrane such as rubber roofing type stuff or the stuff they use under tile shower installations. I have no idea if that would be cost effective or not. You will want to be sure that the floor is watertight if you want to preserve the original floor beneath the false floor. A 1% slope is about a 1/8" drop per foot.

The minimum would be about 1/8" per foot but 1/4" per foot is recommended. So for your room a 2X4 floor wouldn't be enough I'd go with a 2x6 sleepers (and that would still be minimum) just to give you the room for the slope you would need for the pipe and fittings.

As for a drain in the floor (if I understood you correctly) That just seems like a problem waiting to happen. Lost of spots for moisture to build up and have mold and other nasty stuff go on. I personally wouldn't do it unless it were a concrete slab or properly built drain pan.

As for a drain in the floor (if I understood you correctly) That just seems like a problem waiting to happen. Lost of spots for moisture to build up and have mold and other nasty stuff go on. I personally wouldn't do it unless it were a concrete slab or properly built drain pan.

I'm not really sure it would be that big of a problem. Floor drains are in almost every tile shower. So long as you flush a little water through the drain, I would think the problems would be minimal.

Back