Laminate flooring decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, when SWMBO gets back in May, we are going to rip out all of the carpet in the front of the house. We hate carpet. Especially with pets.

So we are looking at this 30 year laminate flooring for pretty much the entire house minus the bedrooms for now.

Would something like this raise the value or hurt us in the long run?

FWIW, another possible option is to get the existing hardwood floors (under the current carpet) redone. I think that would be a significant more cost but an option if we are going to lose value when we inevitably sell this place in a few years.

You have to see what the floors underneath look like. Personally, I prefer *real* hardwood anyday over the laminate stuff that anyone and his cousin can install in a weekend. You *could* rent a sander and do it yourself, but that's a hard, dirty job that's easy to eff up. I'd get a quote, at least - I was able to do most of our first floor and half of the upstairs for not much more than a grand, IIRC (it was a few years ago).

As to the value-added question, I don't really know the answer; are the carpets in bad shape?

i've thought about it too. you said you were going to use it in the front of the house. I've heard not to use it in an entryway due to moisture causing problems with it. Of course, the entryway and kitchen are exactly where we would want it.

Not too sure about value, but what I can offer is that two of the four levels in my house are laminate, and with a dog, two kids,two cats, and a drunken *******, the stuff is totally bullet-proof. A veeery livable option, even if it isn't the best thing for a sale-price. You're not looking to sell yet are you?

In my opinion you can't beat real hardwood. I remodeled one of my rental homes for sale and where there was hardwood, I had it refinished. I did the rest in laminate.

Be aware that like most floor coverings, things go in waves. Laminate is the new carpet, but hardwood is forever. If you're looking for resale, you can't beat the real thing. I already know lots of people who think laminate is tacky. If you cover over the hardwood, I'll bet you will find yourself ripping up the laminate and refinishing when you sell.

the_bird said:
You have to see what the floors underneath look like. Personally, I prefer *real* hardwood anyday over the laminate stuff that anyone and his cousin can install in a weekend. You *could* rent a sander and do it yourself, but that's a hard, dirty job that's easy to eff up. I'd get a quote, at least - I was able to do most of our first floor and half of the upstairs for not much more than a grand, IIRC (it was a few years ago).

As to the value-added question, I don't really know the answer; are the carpets in bad shape?

Funny you say that....me and my cousin installed my laminate flooring.

IMO, the laminate looks great, and is very resiliant. With pets, it will not scratch, as where real hardwood will and you'll be redoing it every couple years.(assuming youve got a dog , I have a choc. lab) I also had real hardwood under my carpet but went with the laminate because of less maint and ease of installation.

I dont think its goint to affect the value of your house anything worth speaking of, but im no expert in that....and the hardwood will still be under the laminate.

Tophe96 said:
Funny you say that....me and my cousin installed my laminate flooring.

IMO, the laminate looks great, and is very resiliant. With pets, it will not scratch, as where real hardwood will and you'll be redoing it every couple years.(assuming youve got a dog , I have a choc. lab) I also had real hardwood under my carpet but went with the laminate because of less maint and ease of installation.

I dont think its goint to affect the value of your house anything worth speaking of, but im no expert in that....and the hardwood will still be under the laminate.

I don't mean any disrespect, it just seems like EVERY newer house or remodeled house has laminate hardwood. Old-school hardwood, even if possibly a lesser product, to me adds a little bit more character to the house.

You've got to find out how thick the hardwood boards are. If they are thick enough to allow for sanding/refinishing the I think this is the best option (I can check with a buddy of mine who does this professionally for the board thickness to look for). IMO it will look best and unarguably it holds the highest resale value.

I've done a whole number of places myself with Essex/Silver Line sanding machines, which are rented locally in many places and it really isn't that much work when compared to the cost to have a 'pro' do it. I sanded 2 12x14 rooms, and entry and a hallway in my parents house in 2-3 days then it took another 2-3 for all the finishing. The key is to be NUTS about wood dust removal before finishing.

I'd say, hands down, refinish the wood. And do it yourself. After all, you have all your fingers and appendages so you should be able-bodied. :D

Funny this topic just came up....I just refinished our small dining room...11x10. "Real" hardwood floors, sanded (not with drum sander, but the orbital sander that has 4 discs), re-stained, and polyurethane - 3 coats. I'm happy with the end results! More importantly, SWMBO is happy with the results.

Go the hardwood. I did my entire house prior to moving in. I paid somebody to do it though - a lot of work. All nails have to be hammered in and then the holes filled up. That alone would have taken me three days, he did it in one morning!
It does scratch but that adds to the charm. It is a home after all, not a show house.

Well, I redid my hardwood floors all by myself in my living/dining room in my previous house. I was single at the time, and really wanted it done. If I can do it, you and your SWMBO certainly can! The key is to rent the right sander for the job. One thing I learned the hard way is to make sure all the nails are very, very, slightly counter sunk before you run over them with the sander! All you need is the sander, a tacky cloth, and the polyurethene. I used a lambswool applicator on a mophead to apply the finish. I did it for under $250. This was in 1999, and the floor looked great when I sold it and still looks good. (It's in the same neighborhood, I just bought a bigger house.). Also, the floors were redone in my current house- over 2000 sq ft of hardwood- in 2000. We have teenagers, a collie, cats, and all the teenagers' friends doing all kinds of things, including robots, toycars (when he was younger), hockey sticks, etc. The floors look brand new. They clean super easy, even in the kitchen. I brew in my kitchen and it cleans up really nicely.

I don't have any experience at all with the "new" floorings. But I would recommend refinishing your hardwood if your floors are in pretty good shape.

I have put down laminate in the house we sold last year and I think that stuff is actually pretty good, but you have to get the floor perfectly even otherwise you can feel the floor sink in in depressions. But it was much better than the carpets that we had in there before and I think it upped the value of the house more than it cost.

BUT, if you have real hardwood and it is in good shape go with that. As the others said, nothing beats the real thing. And when we were looking for houses, real hardwood always made a good impression.

Kai

I found a place locally that mills kiln dried pine into tongue and groove flooring. They sell it for about 40 cents a square foot. I bought enough for my dining room and the new bar. I have to nail it down, sand it and finish it, but I have more time than money and I'm really going for bragging rights on the new bar. As the kids move out, I'll be replacing the laminate with this stuff throughout the house. Laminate is cheap, easy and wears well, but I love the wood.

I just finished installing laminate flooring in my dining and living rooms today. I replaced the carpet damaged from water leaking in from the ice dam. We went with laminate because I could do it myself and save enough money that the insurance money covered it all. We already have it in another room for over 10 years now and haven't had any troubles with it except for a nick I put in it when I dropped my drill on it. We are to the point where carpet is nothing more than a PITA so it was an easy decision.
If I were you I'd compare re-finishing your current floors to installing laminate and do what ever is more cost effective. If you are only going to be in it for a few years then either way should work for you.
Your biggest challenge will be finding a Packer fan to buy your house. :D

the_bird said:
I don't mean any disrespect, it just seems like EVERY newer house or remodeled house has laminate hardwood. Old-school hardwood, even if possibly a lesser product, to me adds a little bit more character to the house.

none taken....I agree with you, I really like the look of real hardwood. I was going for the cheap and easy method at the time.

I had a house with laminate and my current house has real hardwood. Both will add value to your house. Watch any of those "flip this house" type shows and that's almost always the first thing they do. Also, if you're planning on staying in the house for any length of time, wood is going to outperform other types of flooring.

Now, between the two, I GREATLY prefer the real hardwood to the laminate. It just looks much better. I understand the advantages of laminate, but would choose real hardwood in a second for my house. I have a dog, two cats and two kids that are pretty rough on the floor. The "scratching" you get is minimal and doesn't really degrade the look at all. I've been in my house for 5 years and my floors are nowhere near needing to be refinished.

If you do decide to go laminate, make sure to get a decent quality prodduct - there is some pretty crappy stuff out there.

hardwood > laminate > good carpet > linoleum > crappy industrial carpet > any carpet that you glue down

And these days if you shop around you can get waterproof laminate (suitable for bathrooms, kitchens and entryways) relatively cheaply. Helped a buddy a couple weekends ago install it on the first floor of his house (Kitchen, dining, laundry, hallway and master bedroom). He had 1200 sq feet of it shipped to his house for 89 cents a sq foot (+ $200 shipping--- negligible).

Gotta add to the 'laminate is bulletproof' comment. 2 60lb dogs who never get their nails cut running down the stairs of our house for 7 years. On the first floor, hardwood that is all bitched up evyer couple years and needs to be redone. On the stairs, carpet all worn to hell. Downstairs in the den, laminate-- looks brand freaking new. Nary a scratch.

Also, dropped a 5# co2 bottle on laminate over concrete. Laminate was completely unharmed. No dent.

kornkob said:
hardwood > laminate > good carpet > linoleum > crappy industrial carpet > any carpet that you glue down

And these days if you shop around you can get waterproof laminate (suitable for bathrooms, kitchens and entryways) relatively cheaply. Helped a buddy a couple weekends ago install it on the first floor of his house (Kitchen, dining, laundry, hallway and master bedroom). He had 1200 sq feet of it shipped to his house for 89 cents a sq foot (+ $200 shipping--- negligible).

Gotta add to the 'laminate is bulletproof' comment. 2 60lb dogs who never get their nails cut running down the stairs of our house for 7 years. On the first floor, hardwood that is all bitched up evyer couple years and needs to be redone. On the stairs, carpet all worn to hell. Downstairs in the den, laminate-- looks brand freaking new. Nary a scratch.

Also, dropped a 5# co2 bottle on laminate over concrete. Laminate was completely unharmed. No dent.

Wow, those are some ringing endorsements!

Thanks all fo rthe input. Once SWMBO gets back we'll rip the carpet out and make the final decision--I'm leaning towards laminate for the ease. I freaking hate sanding/sanding dust/staining. But if the existing hardwood is in decent shape--we might reconsider that.

I have hardwood on my ground floor, and when I finished my basement I installed laminate over concrete. I like the way the laminate looks, certainly better than concrete and it was cheaper than carpet believe it or not, because I bought it at costco (they sell it every spring, and it is good quality) and installed it with my former SWMBO. That being said, it isn't hardwood, and while it may increase the value of the place, not as much as hardwood, but that wasn't really an option on a concrete floor without spending a ton of money and effort.

If your hardwood is salvageable, refinish it, yes, it is a PITA, a lot of work, mess, etc, but it will be so much better in the long run as far as looks (maybe less durable than laminate depending on what kind of wood).

I'm leaning towards bamboo. I have no idea what is under this old carpet, but my greyhounds will probably get down that far very soon. Refinished hardwood once, don't plan on that again!

Another option is engineered flooring, which is sectioned plywood with a top ply of hardwood and a factory poly finish.

If you pay for the laminate flooring, why are you thinking that you will loose money. When you will sell the house increase the price accordingly.

I bought my first home a year ago and the first thing I did was rip out ALL of the carpet except for bedrooms and put in new laminate. I can't give a definite answer but I know I would rather purchase a house with laminate rather over carpet. I can't see it hurting the value as long as it's done properly.

Back