Using 3 gallon water cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I've thought about splitting up one of my beers to smaller secondaries to different flavors to it (fruit, lactose, etc.), has anyone tried using the smaller water coolers for a secondary fermenter?

Never tried it, but if its food grade plastic, I don't see any difference between this and a better bottle/fermentation bucket. Obviously you won't be able to see the clearing, but it should be just fine in my opinion.

Not sure how you would add an airlock (as mentioned), but not sure you would need to either. I think if you just turn the lid one screw (as opposed to 3 when its tight) it should keep out most air/bacteria, but also allow pressure to escape.

Give it a shot and let us know?

PS - Why would you use a 3 g cooler to do this? Why not purchase another $6 bucket or $20 carboy? Is it just what is handy or what? A 3 g cooler costs $18, so not much cheaper than a carboy.

Well I have and continue to do so as my primary. It is not the best food grade container I mean with the #1 in the triangle, mine has #7. You what the beer turns out fine and taste good. I did a Pete's wicked ale in it 2.75 gallons and it was good. I know alot of people say Oh dont use them but how many actually tried it. I have and all I can say it was fine. I now only use it for primary when doing 2 gallons batches, as my wife found me a sweet 2 gallon glass carboy at a flea market for $1.99 Sweat!, just try it and you will be fine.

Back