Is it worth doing a true wild fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm interested in brewing up a plambic. I actually haven't had too many of them, but managed to get a hold of a Cantillon Kriek and it definitely intrigued me. It's not just the beer itself, but the process too, which is why I think it would be really cool to try a truly wild fermentation. The idea isn't to match Cantillon, but certainly is to have something drinkable. Is it worth trying or should I stick with the commercially available "wild" yeast/bacteria?

And, IF I do decide to try it, is a particular time of year any better than any other (I live in SE Mass)?

Most places that say they do "wild" fermentation are doing it in an environment contaminated by the same bugs they've been using for years (and some times centuries).

If you watch the pollen/allergen counts for your area, brew when the mold count is high. But there are always spores in the air.

I'm interested in brewing up a plambic. I actually haven't had too many of them, but managed to get a hold of a Cantillon Kriek and it definitely intrigued me. It's not just the beer itself, but the process too, which is why I think it would be really cool to try a truly wild fermentation. The idea isn't to match Cantillon, but certainly is to have something drinkable. Is it worth trying or should I stick with the commercially available "wild" yeast/bacteria?

And, IF I do decide to try it, is a particular time of year any better than any other (I live in SE Mass)?

Guy in my brew club (he would know, he's the sowah beeah man) says early Spring is the time.
He said chill as normal, then put a window screen over the kettle/wort and leave it out overnight then rack to a carboy and put it in the basement for a year or so.
I'm trying this in a month or so.

What I did was make starter wort and just left that outside for 12 hours or so in a baking dish (maximum surface area) covered by a window screen. It took several days to get going... I just stepped it up today but there seems to be a lacto smell from it. So, if I have to pitch it then that is fine it was only a liter or so of wort.

Guy in my brew club (he would know, he's the sowah beeah man) says early Spring is the time.
He said chill as normal, then put a window screen over the kettle/wort and leave it out overnight then rack to a carboy and put it in the basement for a year or so.
I'm trying this in a month or so.

I'm surprised he said to chill as normal. If I were to do it, I'd take the hot wort and put it into an innoculation vessel and let it cool overnight (like the Belgian cool ships...)

Back