Will green apple taste go away in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Hi all, I kegged a low-gravity blonde ale last night, about 5 weeks from brew day. It still had a bit of a green apple taste- will this go away with cold conditioning, or should I leave it out of the fridge for longer to keep the yeast active?

There's no such thing as "cold conditioning" with ales. The ale yeast goes dormant in the low 50's. Do you do any work while you're asleep?

If you want them to condition get them back above 70. After a couple days you might even want to give the beer a swirl to re-suspend the yeast and get it cleaning again.

My first beer had this flavor, but it was brewed with a lager yeast. The flavor did clear up after a couple of weeks in the fridge. For an ale yeast, I would follow Revvy's advice.

What yeast did you use?

I get this almost everytime when I use Notty for my IIPA...pretty strong when I empty the primary but I have never tasted it in the finished product...then again I bottle.

Kegged a Wheat Lager 2 days ago. At kegging it had a distinct apple fruit flavor. Even my wife commented. Had a small glass last night and it seems to have disappeared. Not sure the cause.

Homercidal said:
Kegged a Wheat Lager 2 days ago. At kegging it had a distinct apple fruit flavor. Even my wife commented. Had a small glass last night and it seems to have disappeared. Not sure the cause.

It's acetaldehyde which is a byproduct of fermentation. The yeast will clean it up if given the time. This is why my beer stays in primary for 3+ weeks. It gives the yeast time clean up after themselves.

The lager was fermented at 50 for 4 weeks and had a D-rest at 65-70 for a few days, then back into the lagering fridge at 34 for over 2 weeks.

I wasn't really surprised by the flavor, just surprised that it went away after 1 day... Supposedly the lagering should have kept it at bay, but perhaps the rise to serving temp is what did it.

Back