How much light to skunk a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
This question has popped up in my mind the last two bottling sessions, probably because of the placement of the windows in my kitchen. How much light does it take to skunk a beer? Can 5-10 minutes of direct light exposure do damage? Also, does darker beer have more resistance to skunking, just like melanin in a human's skin?

I don't think some light here and there can hurt it, it's consecutive hours of sunlight that will start to turn it. Correct me if I'm wrong but artificial light shouldn't have a negative impact on beer in bottles unless for a lengthy duration. I think it is an over cautious method by commercial brewers, but then again some of those beers can sit for quite some time before being drank. If there is a definitive answer I would like to know to.

I'm looking for an opaque beer glass so I can drink my beer outside. It seems to skunk pretty fast in the glass if I set it in the sun and I spend alot of time outside.

So to anwser your question, not alot of sun, not alot of time.

I'm looking for an opaque beer glass so I can drink my beer outside. It seems to skunk pretty fast in the glass if I set it in the sun and I spend alot of time outside.

So to anwser your question, not alot of sun, not alot of time.

There is a guy I out there that makes glasses out of beer bottles good prices if I remember they were only 8- 12 $ might even be on here if you search.

I find it hard to beieve that a beer is gunna get skunked in the matter of seconds it takes to walk 30ft. Ime,it takes quite a bit longer to actually be able to taste it. Maybe hop bitterness or flaws showing up as the beer warms in the glass. Especially if it isn't that chilled to start with.
But I've never skunked a beer 15-20 seconds flat. More like at least that they taste like shizz when warm.

It is my understanding that all light contains some ultra violet rays which is what hurts your beer. I also think that how much it takes is a matter of opinion/taste as you can see from the responses to the question. I have tasted one skunky beer but have seen more than one post talking about many beers having a skunky flavor. So cover up fermentersand use brown glass as a minimum and then taste and decide for yourself.

"skunked" is literally the flavor of "fermented skunk spray". Nothing else,just to clarify that point. Like Hoffbrau Munchen Original,or Pilsner Urquell,both in those green bottles. That's skunked. And it's sunlight,& florescent light that give off UV light that skunks beer.

I find it hard to beieve that a beer is gunna get skunked in the matter of seconds it takes to walk 30ft. Ime,it takes quite a bit longer to actually be able to taste it.

I brew the same beer often enough to know when its skunked, pour from tap-take a sip, walk outside in the Fla sun, sit down take a sip and its skunked.

Thats life drinking by the pool...

It's just hard to imagine a freshly poured beer is skunked really strong in some 20 seconds flat. It gets hot here,& mine don't go off at the speed of light.?...

I find it hard to beieve that a beer is gunna get skunked in the matter of seconds it takes to walk 30ft. Ime,it takes quite a bit longer to actually be able to taste it. Maybe hop bitterness or flaws showing up as the beer warms in the glass. Especially if it isn't that chilled to start with.
But I've never skunked a beer 15-20 seconds flat. More like at least that they taste like shizz when warm.

+1

I gotta believe that the beer already was skunked and it was to cold to notice.

I find it hard to believe that a few seconds/minutes in sunlight could skunk a beer. I don't find it hard to believe that a few minutes in sunlight could warm a beer to the point where it tastes skunky.

It gets hot here,& mine don't go off at the speed of light.?...

But whats your normal UV rating? every summer people from up north come to Fla and burn into lobsters even with sunblock.

http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvimonth.html

Skunked while inside the keg? :p

Again, I've been brewing the same beers for years and I know a skunked beer from a non-skunked beer.

+1

I find it hard to believe that a few seconds/minutes in sunlight could skunk a beer. I don't find it hard to believe that a few minutes in sunlight could warm a beer to the point where it tastes skunky.

Well it's the Florida sun, it's pretty intense. I've had beer skunk in a matter of minutes in a green bottle in Vermont, I'd imagine that it'd happen even faster if it's not in any bottle at all in Florida.

Well,looking at things geographically,FL is in the Northern Tropical Zone. It gets intense up here for the whole summer,or just days at a time. Knowing UV rays do it,you guys must be like that hole in the ozone layer that was/is over AU.? When I was young,& went to public pools,I'd have 2nd degree burns by nightfall. Sensitive skin sucks.
So maybe Y'all do have a few times the UV level,at least,at times? I remember reading about that hole in the ozone layer in AU being at alert levels at times,but not all the time.

Interesting UV index link posted, guess it's good to live in New England rather than Florida to drink beer. Interesting though thought it would be worse in August.

An infected batch could lead to a soured skunky taste as well. Looks like I'm going to start covering my carboy up with a shirt or something now. Why would they sell carboy's translucent if even the most minute bit of incandescent light will turn a beer skunky???

Just looked at the link map. Looks like we're between 5 & 7 on the scale for summer. Y'all look like 8-10,not too much difference on average. But potential for some serious UV.

UV is responsible for skunking. I am sure that direct sunlight on a beer in a glass on a high UV index day will skunk it in minutes. On the other hand I have accidentally left a carboy uncovered in indirect sunlight on a hazy day in Wisconsin. UV index was probably really low. No detectable skunk in the finished product.

We cover all fermenters/secondary with a dark tee shirt to keep the light off them. Even though the ale pales aren't translucent like the cooper's micro brew FV. It def seems to help.
Sounds like you guys need a ceramic/dark colored/metal stein with lid down there.

So we've (Texas) got the same problem down here... beers skunk in just a few minutes. At Real Ale's party this past weekend their ESB skunked in 2-3 minutes...

I've been looking for a metal (pewter) stein with a lid... but I can't find any. I can find pewter steins, and ceramic steins with lids... but not a "full metal jacket"...

anyone out there got a place for me to buy one?

thx, :mug:
-tim

Look on amazon.com. Here's a link to brew fanatics,who has a store with some nice selections;http://www.brewfanatics.com/
I got these from brew fanatics store;http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/PICT0004-1.jpg
It seems to me HBT has a store link somewhere too.?...

nah, see, those don't work 'cause they're clear glass... we're talking about two things here, keeping the light out... so they don't skunk and "pool safe" (non-breakable).

maybe if they were made out of brown glass...

I live in Fl. and I use Tervis Tumblers, not the clear ones but the ones that are different colors and don't have any issues , they dont sweat (condensate) with my beers outside. They can keep a beer cold for a good amount of time in the Fl outdoors. They have a lifetime warranty. Just google tervis tumblers-- and they also sell colored lids to keep it semi spill proof. just sayin :)

I can confirm less than a minute with a delicate pilsner (Urquell from the keg) with an AZ sun.

Ultraviolet Index Forecast for PHOENIX, AZ
Date Valid
(at Solar Noon)
UV Index Color Level
6/29/2011 Extreme index of 12
6/28/2011 Extreme index of 12

UV Index Scale
Low 0-2
Moderate 3-5
High 6-7
Very High 8-10
Extreme 11+

UV Index Category Sunburn Time
over 9 extreme less than 15 minutes
7-9 high about 20 minutes
4-7 medium about 30 minutes
0-4 low more than 1 hour

Interesting. This is probably why beers start to taste funny if I'm too slow to drink them when I'm in my pool. I just assumed they were getting too warm. And my pool is screened in which helps (no need for sunscreen in the pool even in the Florida sun), but it must be enough to skunk the beer!

Do I need to worry about this before fermentation? I do my boils out on the screened pool deck with a turkey fryer.

I poured a pint of my pale ale this weekend while sitting on the back patio tending the bbq. At this point in the day the patio was in direct sunlight and my beer was in a clear glass tumbler.

By 1/3rd of the way through the glass I started to think "this ale tastes a little like...a lager?"

By 2/3rds of the way through the glass I was certain I had brewed a Heineken clone instead of an American Pale, and had not realized it until then.

By the last few sips, it was straight skunk ass.

All in about 10 minutes.

I had the same experience last time I brewed. Had got the boil rolling, went and poured another IPA. Was playing bags in my back yard with the guys I was brewing with, nice sunny day. About half way through the pint glass (10 mins or so) I thought damn, this is skunky. Was pretty rough on the last couple drinks.

Could people be confusing skunking with oxidizing? Open beer will mix quickly with O2. I guess I drink mine too fast as I have never experienced that.

As a retailer what measures should I take to avoid skunking?
Keep your bottled beer away from direct sunlight, if at all possible. The darker bottles and higher six pack holders from some breweries will help, but sunlight and heat are your main enemies here.

I've had glasses with Pale Ale or IPA squonk within 30-60 seconds when outside in direct sunlight. Even Porters got noticeably squonky within a minute (or 2).

Back