How many brewers also make wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For home brewers, do you also make wine?

• Yes, make wine frequently

• No, never made wine

• I've made wine only a few times

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heineken

Reaction score
Just curious as my SWMBO likes wine more than beer so I decided to try my luck with a batch of wine. Going to pop open the first bottle tonight. Wonder how many brewers are also doint wine.

I keep telling myself I am going to but haven't done it yet. I did buy a corker and some corks to bottle up the Ed Wort's Apfelwein I made, so I am a little closer I guess. :)

I made a batch of Reisling (sp?) a couple of years ago but neither SWMBO or I cared for it. It came out to dry. One of the neighbors loved it though and drank it all.

I want to make a Wine or two when I get back from Deployment, The SWMBO loves it, and it would be one more batch for Brew Days.

I started out making fruit wine, mead and cider, and have now gotten into beer. I have yet to make a wine from actual Vitis vinifera grapes or juice, though I really want to make a batch soon.

We opened our first bottle tonight of Merlot and it was good. Needs a bit more aging but will do it again. 30 botttles for less than $100 so can't beat it. Comparable to a $10 bottle of wine.

Ive made wine, though only from grape juice buckets. At a price of 20$ 5gallons for already blended grape juice, with yeast in it, couldnt go wrong.\

Although the quality of it was not the greatest, got alot of friends drunk especially when we were younger :)

Now im heading toward making "real wine" to shock the balls of people ;)

SWMBO doesn't like beer so I started making wine for her. We just make the Wine Expert kits, for about $70-$180 a kit you can a decent bottle of wine.

I've been meaning to dabble in it for some time now. I have friends keep their wine bottles and have a stash of 20-30 now. Maybe someday I'll go buy a carboy and dedicate it to wine making.

This year's count:
35 gallons Blackberry
5 gallons cherry
15 gallons afpelwein
15 gallons Malted cider (ala graff but unhopped)

Yeah. I think I make wine... Funny part? Most of it's still in carboys.

You should add another category to your poll - "Havent made wine, but would like to in the future" thats where I fit in. . . my problem is the long aging, but as soon as I purchase another carboy....

You should add another category to your poll - "Havent made wine, but would like to in the future" thats where I fit in. . . my problem is the long aging, but as soon as I purchase another carboy....

This is where I fit in but I've really only been brewing for a week and a half. Although I now am going to have 4, 6 gallon better bottles so it may come sooner rather than later.

I probably should make more wine and stop buying it. Wine.woot has got me stocked with over 100 bottles and probably $1700+ in inventory of wine. More then any of my brewing equipment or batches combined. Recently I have not been drinking as much wine either maybe a bottle every 2 weeks, so I have a stockpile for quite a while. My parents used to make wine often when I was young, in big open crock pots, just covered with a towel.

My parents used to make wine often when I was young, in big open crock pots, just covered with a towel.

Oh, the good ol' days. When one of my friends (who is from India) found out I made wine, he asked me if "put it in a pot and buried it in a hole in the ground".

Most of the wine I have made has been mead, but I'm starting to add fruits to my meads as kind of a way to break in to pure fruit wine. I've made 1 batch of apfelwein lately.

Exactly. Right after I pick up 2-3 carboys cheaply from somewhere is when I start making wine. Been watching craigslist and some other places. I figure that I can justify buying a couple of good kits if I have 2-3 open carboys to get a pipeline going...I'm hoping this christmas.

I'm only a newbie, but I make mead and wine pretty regularly. Technically I'm not a home brewer because I've never done a beer. The only thing I've ever brewed was a strong cup of joe.

Hoping to change that, though.

Back