Pot Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So, I've been pondering my problems acheiving a full rolling boil and I am wondering if it is because my kettle was too wide. I'm thinking about purchasing a 16 qt SS pot and using 2 gal of water for my wort. Any thought?

Bummer, the answer is in the btu's. Figured you were indoors, outdoors is the way to go with a big burner. There are definate advantages to a full boil as opposed to a 2 gallon boil. I think you'd be disappointed with a smaller boil. I'd try maybe a bigger pot (wider) so it could sit on 2 of your stoves burners. Maybe you can find something big enough or someone else will have another idea.

cheers, loop

A narrower pot will make for a better boil, when you're stuck with a small burner. It will also boil over faster, but with gas that isn't as big a problem as an electric stove.

TheJadedDog said:
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to attempt using a 16 qt. pot next brew, if it boils over, I'll know it's too small, if not, perfect.

btw, awesome avatar David.

I use a 16 qt pot on my electric apt stove and have never had a boil-over. It takes awhile to boil, but once it gets going, it boils nicely but barely even needs to be watched. It's never gotten remotely close to the top and I always start with 2 gal (before adding extract).

TheJadedDog said:
Gas burner in my kitchen, outside is not an option (city living dontcha know).
What does city living have to do with anything? I live in a huge metropolitan area (Alexandria, just outside of Washington DC) AND on the seventh floor of my apartment building. I do all grain, full boils outside on my balcony all the time.

TheJadedDog said:
Well I live in Providence, RI with no balcony or outside area in which to brew.

btw, where in Alexandria, I used to live in Landmark
That's my locale. I live maybe a five minute walk from Landmark Mall, less if the light up on Van Dorn Street is green when I get up there.

Back