Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, well do you? Come on and admit it if you do wear a kilt. I am proud of my Scot heritage and love the comfort the kilt provides me. I was just curious as to if anyone else wears them on occasion. I know Kilted Brewer does, and I think hagen said he did. Just a curious brewer who wonders.

memento.jpg

I saw some Utilikilts at the Highland games north of here last year and thought they were really cool. I wanted one until I saw the price! I wore a kilt for a wedding once and it was great, so comfortable!

I'm a proud Scotsman with the red beard to prove it. SWMBO keeps telling me I should buy a kilt but I haven't quite followed through yet. Once I do though, brewing will have to be the second thing I do while wearing it. :D

Put me in the never worn one, but would love to column. We go to scottish games every year w/ our 2 scotties. My (step)father is part of Clan Gordon and I will own a kilt in Gordon tartan one day!

I'm a girl, so I don't count but....

I don't know if it's genetic memory or what, but I just love a man in a kilt and the sound of bagpipes. We went to Scotland when I was 8 and my mom said she couldn't drag me away from the bagpipes.

Combine a kilted Scotsman and a pint of Scottish ale and well.....My German sweet-thing had better watch out!

I bought mine custom fitted from The Frugal Corner. They don't have real good selection, but there 16oz is awesome and very wearable. Got mine delivered with sporran & chain, belt and buckle, with hose and flashes for under $200. Oh that is with a kilt pin as well. Not bad for the whole setup and it looks great. I tried one of their lighter weight kilts and wasn't impressed. It was 11oz and not worth the time. I want a real wool one, but that is like $400-$600 and this will definitely do it until then.

My boss just attended the Burning Man Festival, and he wore a kilt most of the time. Not a traditional Scottish kilt, but a modern one designed for hiking, made out of Gore-Tex. He said it was quite "liberating." I advised him not to wear it around the campfire...

Where do you guys wear these things? Seriously, I'm curious I'm not being sarcastic. My family wears them occasionally at church events. Where else would you use them?

I don't know if it's genetic memory or what, but I just love a man in a kilt and the sound of bagpipes. We went to Scotland when I was 8 and my mom said she couldn't drag me away from the bagpipes.

A few weeks ago I attended the funeral of a good friend (aged 55, way too young!) and they had a kilted fellow playing bagpipes just before the eulogies began. It's the first time I'd ever heard them in person...that has got to be the saddest sound in the world!

Wortmonger, thanks for the link. I'll drop a 'subtle' hint to SWMBO that it might make a nice x-mas gift. Got my Sabres sweater last year, should be comparable...

Where do you guys wear these things? Seriously, I'm curious I'm not being sarcastic. My family wears them occasionally at church events. Where else would you use them?

Well, my UtiliKilt gets a lot of wear- out hiking, doing stuff around the house (yep, brewing), running errands. I turn heads around here(fairly conservative area), but I love wearing it!

The simple honest answer is to ask you a question...where do you wear pants? That's where I wear my kilts.

Here are some "action" shots:
"Men in kilts" 5k run
beer.jpg

Oktoberfest 2006:
oktoberfest.jpg

With my brother-in-law at Busch Gardens:
pigsinakilt.jpg

Getting some new ink:
piper001.jpg

A few more in the next post

wow, two gordon kilts so far. im gordon clan and wore the gordon dress tartan to a scottish wedding earlier this year. there's no place to vote for yes, ive worn one, but dont own one and wouldnt mind wearing one again. its a bit liberating ( a bit too liberating if you have to pick something up off the ground!)

Somehow I knew at least one Kilted Brewer would show up here. :D My SWMBO wants me to wear a kilt, and I'm for it, I just don't have any clan plaid. And they're expensive! She suggested using her clan plaid since she's part Scottish, but I just dunno. I think in many places wearing a kilt will get some odd looks, but we tend to keep Portland weird, so it's not really out of place in these parts.

Nice kilts. I've spent the last year or so researching my Scottish roots (3 of my Grandparents were born and raised in Scotland). My Grandfather had the flaming red hair but none of his offspring, so far, have red hair. My parents went to Scotland and were going to buy me a kilt but they were just too expensive. There's a teacher here that wears a kilt once in awhile and as odd as it looks it's cool that he takes his heritage seriously. I'm of the Douglas clan. I competed in a Scottish games once and had a blast doing it. Every time I hear bagpipes it seems to resonate deep in my soul.
One of these days I'll buy a kilt and wear it.

You don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt. As far as I can tell I have no Scottish in me at all. I've got Welsh and British so maybe at some point someone went north.

And you don't have to spent $500 on a 9 yard kilt. There are several economical choices out there made with synthetic fabrics. Lighter weight, a hell of a lot easier to clean, etc.
USA Kilts is one of my favorites. But there's Sportkilt, Stillwater Kilts, Amerikilt (non tartan) just to name a few.

I really like the Utilikilt look. I was seriously thinking about getting one but decided I needed to lose a bunch of weight first. I didn't want to spend that much money on something that wouldn't fit within a few months. I'm thinking of the Utilikilt being my reward. :D

My grandmother is a Melville and that's where my Scottish heritage ends.
Wearing the Melville tartan, in my case, would be frowned upon? No?

I really like the Utilikilt look. I was seriously thinking about getting one but decided I needed to lose a bunch of weight first. I didn't want to spend that much money on something that wouldn't fit within a few months. I'm thinking of the Utilikilt being my reward.

I'm telling you- you're going to love it. I got mine about 5 years ago.

Just to be clear, when you guys say, liberating, comfortable, etc., you are talking about going commando? Just floppin' around out there? I don't know how comfortable that would be for me personally, as my boys need a home(Kramer).

Just to be clear, when you guys say, liberating, comfortable, etc., you are talking about going commando? Just floppin' around out there? I don't know how comfortable that would be for me personally, as my boys need a home(Kramer).
I think it's different when you have the kilt on though, there's nothing to get 'hung up' on if you catch my meaning. The analogy I saw often when I was looking into it was it's like when you're walking around in your bathrobe with nothing on underneath. I don't know about you but I find that pretty comfortable! :D

I have a couple so far, A great kilt a seamstress friend help me with for Renfest, and a Modern Kilt (Alt Kilt, local maker) that I picked up this summer. I plan to pick up a Stillwater pretty soon, as the guy is about 30 minutes from me. :)

I wear my modern for pretty much anything I would wear shorts at. I have so many kilt wearing friends that it just seems normal in the circle of people I hang out with.

I'll try to get pictures up later.

mr_goodwrench said:
Put me in the never worn one, but would love to column. We go to Scottish games every year w/ our 2 Scotties. My (step)father is part of Clan Gordon and I will own a kilt in Gordon tartan one day!
KingBrianI said:
wow, two Gordon kilts so far. im Gordon clan and wore the Gordon dress tartan to a Scottish wedding earlier this year. there's no place to vote for yes, ive worn one, but dont own one and wouldnt mind wearing one again. its a bit liberating ( a bit too liberating if you have to pick something up off the ground!)

Well, Bydand cousins. I am a Lowry and that is a sept of both Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon(Clan Gordon). I chose to go with Gordon due to it really not mattering anyway, and they are both a rowdy brewd of distinguished Scottish lineage. Gordon is more popular and worn by the military in the form of the Gordon Highlanders regiment, so of course their tartan is more abundant than the MacLaren and so cheaper and easier to find in shops. I like them all though. The link I provided to The Frugal corner is my only kilt purchases so far, so it is only a reference based off that. I am happy with the 16oz from them and would not recommend anything lighter weight. The other sites Kilted Brewer mentions are great as well, but I talked to Stillwaterkilts (only thing price comparable to Frugal) and they all have the lighter weight fabric in their kilts so I will let Kilted Brewer fill in that info. I would like him to weight one of his Stillwaters so I can compare. All I know is $91 for a nice kilt off the rack (24" kilt length) and $10 more for a custom length (which I advice you measuring and buying to be really happy).
Alamo_Beer said:
No, but I've thought about getting a pair of lederhosen :D
I have worn those too, lol. I'm more Kraut-blooded than Scot. Since you can't pick your DNA and you inherit a last name, oh well. It is fun to have something to associate with due to part of you. I love German stuff as much as I like Scot stuff. Here's a shock for you Alamo and everyone else not in the know (he he big words for me), ever heard of a Männerrock? Check out this site kiltmen.com, very interesting information about male unbifurcated garments from around the world and throughout history. Jesus(lol, the time period Jewish peoples) wore a long belted robe and the Romans wore Tunics. Not just them but all over the world. Egyptians didn't have pants.
Kilted Brewer said:
You don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt. As far as I can tell I have no Scottish in me at all. I've got Welsh and British so maybe at some point someone went north.

And you don't have to spent $500 on a 9 yard kilt. There are several economical choices out there made with synthetic fabrics. Lighter weight, a hell of a lot easier to clean, etc.
USA Kilts is one of my favorites. But there's Sportkilt, Stillwater Kilts, Amerikilt (non tartan) just to name a few.

For you guys wondering, Kilted Brewer has it right. You can wear anything you want. Lineage can only be proved with DNA and somehow or another everyone has some Scot-Irish in them more than likely. There was just too many that came over and certain regions are filled with Scottish names. Texas for instance; Dallas, Houston, Worth (Ft Worth), Lubbock, etc etc. Most of what people call hillbillies are of Scot-Irish descent and that is why they are all grouped in the same region. Hatfield and McCoy are both rival clans and so why would it be any different in America. Clans overlap last names and are more like a regional thing or gang than a family thing. Usually only the clan chief and governing part are family, everyone else is a Sept, like Lowry being Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon. There were Lowry's everywhere, so they have to belong to someone more powerful. So, wear what you like and wear it proud. I like that I have an association with my tartan, but I would wear anything. I'm not big on the utilikilt look, but I am not plaid only either.

For the record, I have only gone "Regimental" (commando) once, which is tradition. I wore my first kilt at a wedding and loved it. We all went sans-undies since they were rentals;). I would never wear my kilt without boxers as I don't want to have to wash it that often. It is just as comfy to me with undies on, and just as easy to pee :). Also, when you have to sit to go it is just a bit more work, but very easy after your first time.:cross:

For all you guys looking for information, here is a great site called the Scottish Tartans Authority. Also here for more Clan knowledge.

Latest posts

Back