Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Coconut Porter 1st Place in 2nd Round 2011 HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up making this today. I used 14oz of coconut and added it to the primary rather than the secondary. I did, however, add the all the hops @ 5mins... oops. I think it will be fine though. I will keep all posted

I did a partial mash of this a few days ago, its fermenting away. I ended up using Nottingham as that was what I had on hand. I also upped the toasted coconut, but goofed and threw it in the mash instead of flameout. I figure I can fix in secondary if it needs more..

Coconut aside, the recipe seemed quite tasty, thx for sharing it.

Didnt look like anyone else said it, but congrats on the contest finish!

I will be brewing this as my next batch. Cant wait!!

Last week, I did another 10-gallon batch of this, with a few tweaks. Instead of my original spec, I used the Thomas Fawcett pale chocolate malt because it tastes so good and chocolatey, and I also added some carapils and a bit of black patent to the grain bill. On the hops side, I only had an ounce of willamette left, and no goldings, so I decided to switch directions and went with citrusy American hops all the way through, with an additional bit of cascade added at flameout to bring out some citrusy hop aroma to (hopefully) complement the coconut. I would also expect that this will increase the perceived bitterness up to something like the 40-45 IBU range, rather than the 35 or so it was at previously. Additionally, I am fermenting half of it with US-05 and leaving out the coconut, and entering it as a robust porter in an upcoming competition, as I wanted a cleaner fermentation and for the roast and hops to pop a bit more than in my original recipe for that category.

After 9 days on the lower side I'm at 1.020. I'm going to stop adding ice bottles but keep it in the swamp cooler as room temp is still fairly high. I tasted the sample though and its already delicious!! The roastyness is there and so is a hint of coconut on the finish, should get better after secondary.

I have done that a couple years ago, and it tasted really good for a month or so. Then for some reason the vanilla faded away leaving only the coconut behind. It still tasted great, but the vanilla flavor wasn't there anymore.

Bumping this thread because I just ordered the ingredients to make a batch...

Any other notes on recent batches? Any improvements or tweaks?

My last batch did pretty well in a competition I entered into a few months ago. Basically the same scores it has gotten when I entered previous batches...39/40ish. I still have about half a keg of the "straight" version of this recipe (no coconut) on tap in my kegerator, so not planning to make another batch for a while just yet. My club is trying to get at least one beer of each BJCP style category on tap for the Southern California Homebrew Festival coming up at the beginning of May, so I might do another batch for that, although I'm thinking about doing something with bananas for my next fruit beer.

Just pitched.... Added some toasted coconut to the boil and also gave it a little extra lme kick... Sg was 1.068!

Wyeast 1056 American ale. Also dumped the rest of my toasted coconut into some vodka to make an extract.

Had to make it my own!

Just a note on this... I am second guessing my decision to add coconut to the boil for fears that the oils will destroy head retention.

That said, I toasted 12 oz of coconut and added it to a bottle and filled it with vodka. (I'm up to almost an entire bottle of vodka to cover it as the flakes keep sucking up the vodka) I plan on letting that steep for a week while the beer is in primary.

After fermentation is done I plan on using a nylon bag over a bowl to squeeze the vodka back out of the toasted coconut flakes. I think I will then freeze the infused vodka in the hopes that the oil will congeal on top and I can skim off the oils. I will then add it to the secondary as an extract.

I really think I want to avoid adding the flakes directly to the secondary for fear of oils and/or infection.

Will update....

I have never had a problem with infection from adding the toasted coconut directly. However, in my experience you probably DO want to put it in some kind of container (I use a fine mesh nylon bag) to keep the flakes from getting all over the place in your wort, just because it can be sort of a pain to rack off of the coconut otherwise.

Regarding head retention: I didn't have too much of an issue with my last batch, which I had cut back my caramel 60 and pale chocolate to about 6.5% each of the grist, and added about 4% carapils and 2% black patent to make up the difference. Judges comments from a competition remarked "decent" head retention with good lacing.

Does anyone know if adding coconut water would be a way to increase the coconut flavor? Although, the sugars in the coconut water would likely ferment out.

I used 32 ounces of coconut water in the boil of mine and it was awesome. I can not pinpoint if the coconut water fermented out or what would have happened if I did not add it, but I tasted a friends coconut beer that he brewed that was very similar to mine only without coconut water, and my coconut flavor was much more pronounced than his.

I used Harmless Harvest coconut water from Whole foods. I tasted a whole bunch of different ones before I used them and this one was the best. This is also one that is not boiled to pasturize it, so it retains a lot more flavoring.

formula2fast said:
I used 32 ounces of coconut water in the boil of mine.

formula2fast said:
This is also one that is not boiled to pasturize it, so it retains a lot more flavoring.

...but either way it was boiled.

Wondering if a late addition of coconut water would work too in secondary.

I have wanted to do a coconut porter and this sounds perfect!! So what's the verdict of adding coconut water at flameout and about 1lb of toasted coconut to the secondary of this recipe has anyone tried that? Results??

I bought some coconut water... I opened it and it smells like piss. Not putting that crap in my beer. I stuck with toasted flakes in nylon bags and made my own extract with vodka.

In secondary now.

Sween, I don't enjoy the smell or taste (long story) of piss so I'm gonna stick with the toasted coconut flakes and maybe extract at the secondary. Thanks for your advice!

So I brewed coconut porter just toasted my coconut and dropped into a hops sack placed into the secondary. My question is how do I removed all the small floaties of coconut that escape the bag before bottling?

I left mine. When I racked into the bottling bucket 99% of them stayed in the carboy. By the time I got it in the bottles, there were only very small particles left and they just added more flavor when I cracked em open.

Has anyone used unsweetened Coconut Milk? Would you put it in the boil at the last 10 min? Or would you still add to the Secondary?? Very interested in trying something like this.

Has anyone used unsweetened Coconut Milk? Would you put it in the boil at the last 10 min? Or would you still add to the Secondary?? Very interested in trying something like this.

Or, even the coconut water? I wonder if either of those would give you the coconut flavor, without the oils in the pulp?

just got the all grain stuff for this one. I think I'm going to coconut half and keep the other half regular but we'll see. This is my first porter and first coconut beer so I'm stoked for it. I'm entering it in a brew club bjcp competition for fruit beer. I won the last one which was for IPAs. There's 3 total so I'm trying to win all 3 for the triple crown!

Does the toasted coconut cause any problems because of the natural oils?
I tried a coconut porter last week at a local tasting room and when I asked them how they got the coconut flavour, they used a term I hadnt heard before due to the oils. Maybe I misunderstood?

I have never had any issues with the oils having a negative impact on the beer. I use red wheat in my coconut recipes to help with head retention as well. I toast my coconut, then as soon as it comes out of the oven, put it all on a counter covered in paper towels, and then put another layer over the coconut and pat them down. It soaks up most of the oil.

I have never had any issues with the oils having a negative impact on the beer. I use red wheat in my coconut recipes to help with head retention as well. I toast my coconut, then as soon as it comes out of the oven, put it all on a counter covered in paper towels, and then put another layer over the coconut and pat them down. It soaks up most of the oil.

How do you add red wheat? I have never used that before (still a newbie :rockin:)

I'm thinking about adding toasted coconut to a vanilla porter that I have had great success with in the past. What do ya'll think; vanilla coconut porter!?

Just like all my other grains. Crush it and put it in the mash. Seems to work well. Started doing it after a recommendation from a local brew master.

I'm thinking about adding toasted coconut to a vanilla porter that I have had great success with in the past. What do ya'll think; vanilla coconut porter!?

I have done this before. For some mysterious reason, the vanilla flavor faded after a few months the last time I tried it, but the coconut flavor was still there.

FWIW, Ive added up to 3lbs of toasted coconut as a dry hop and it wasnt overpowering (5gal). I would increase the amount you add if you want a prevalent coconut flavor

Back