HELP!! problem with element placement in a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loodachris

12th man loud and proud!
Reaction score
I have run into a bit of a problem mounting the heating element in my keggle. Since the dip tube comes out and bends down in the middle of the keg no matter where I try and find a spot to mount the element it will hit the dip tube. It's the 5500w ripple camco element. Has anyone ran into this problem and what did you do to get it to work? I thought about bending the element but how to do that I have no clue.

Are you going weldless? If you're welding fittings, you could offset the element port. Otherwise,

1. Try rotating the element 90 degrees so the ripples look like a wave and try mounting the port perpendicular to the dip tube. You might luck out and have the ripple go over the dip tube.

2. Try re-routing the dip tube using some solder and fittings

3. Try a different style of dip tube. MoreBeer has several styles.

4. Mount the element port higher than the dip tube

Flip the dip tube around- put the short end into bulkhead and drain from the edge of the kettle after whirlpool.

You should be able to mount the dip tube 180 degrees across from the element. If they interfere with one another you should be able to shorten or lengthen the dip tube slightly to clear the element.
The pictured element is a standard Camco 5500 watt.

2013-12-01 20.30.49 (Small).jpg

You guys are awesome. Always helpful and quick responses! I had the element on the inside of the keg trying to decide where to put it and never thought about the fact it will sit back another inch or less and the fact there is no rule that the dip tube has to sit perfectly center in the bottom middle of the keg. I'll drill the hole across from the bulkhead and see where I'm at from there. So many ideas and thoughts running around in my head with this build I just need to slow down a bit since I don't need to finish this anytime soon.

If there was ever a situation where the rule " measure twice, cut/drill once" applies, it would be kettle conversions.

Sometimes our enthusiasm overrides our common sense when we take on projects.

Once you think you have a solution in mind, it never hurts to vet it here first.

Good luck.

Lol I freaked out just like this AFTER drilling the hole and then laughed when I realized all of the above solutions were acceptable and I'd just use whichever worked out best for me.

If there was ever a situation where the rule " measure twice, cut/drill once" applies, it would be kettle conversions.

Sometimes our enthusiasm overrides our common sense when we take on projects.

Once you think you have a solution in mind, it never hurts to vet it here first.

Good luck.

After all Panic is the mother of invention. Not to be confused with Mother's of Invention.

Back