Fermented rice dumplings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, sorry Orfy, never had em :(. I'll take a gander in Wild Fermentation, it may be in there. If it does, I'll post.

Orfy, did you use idli pans/tree?... or did you come up with some other ingenious method? I'd love to make these. My wife spent a few months in India and said she ate these every morning for breakfast... delicious!

I put them in my yorkhire puding tray.
then put them in a foil coverd roasting tray full of boiling water an then put the lot in a hot oven for 20 minutes.

Rice cakes are made from puffed rice.

Idli are made from dried ground fermented rice. (Like flour)
They are steamed so they are dumplimgs.

They have a yeast flavor like a good fresh hefe.

Dr Vorlauf said:
These look just like rice cakes that my wife buys at the Korean supermarket. Are they acutal dumplings or mini cakes?

They're sort of mini cakes, but in addition to fermenting them, they have lentils and are distinctly Indian. If you're talking about regular old rice cakes, they're definitely different.

menschmaschine said:
They're sort of mini cakes, but in addition to fermenting them, they have lentils and are distinctly Indian. If you're talking about regular old rice cakes, they're definitely different.

Yep. I defiantly have the regular rice cakes but this thread has given me a few new ideas on how to use them. Never thought of doing a curry or stew that had some rice cakes. Right now we make a fish soup with them.

orfy said:
then put them in a foil coverd roasting tray full of boiling water an then put the lot in a hot oven for 20 minutes.

MMmm Yorkshire pudding! I made that for Christmas dinner with the roast. :D

GOOD EATS MAN.

8.jpg

orfy said:

Good idea. (BIG fan of Yorkshire Pudding... as long as roast beef is along for the ride.) I might try that similarly with muffin pans, but the diameter might be too small. If that doesn't work, I have a pretty good idea where I can get an idli tree.
How long did you ferment and at what temp?

Back