Maryland Big Brew Day 2007!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets start this thing rolling for real this time. I can offer the space to do it, I have a huge freaking driveway. Who wants to sign up for some AG brewing, and who wants to show up to watch some AG brewing?

jezter6 said:
You know I'm down to brew.

I know dude.....I find this kinda funny....when did I come up to watch the AG session at your place? July? And here I'm already knee deep in the AG brewing

98EXL said:
Well lets start this thing rolling for real this time. I can offer the space to do it, I have a huge freaking driveway. Who wants to sign up for some AG brewing, and who wants to show up to watch some AG brewing?
I would show up! good to see someone with more expirinece work!

claphamsa said:
I would show up! good to see someone with more expirinece work!

if you aren't 'working' you'd better be watching and drinking :D :ban: :mug:

I am in, but unfortunately my setups either are for stovetop brewing (no exterior burner) or aren't very portable (1550). I don't mind bringing supplies, brewing or drinking.

Where are you at?

I'm interested but am not an AG brewer. I am curious to see the whole process. I have brewed in the 80s and 90s but stopped for the last 8 years. I am just getting my feet wet again. I have done partial mash/extract so can help but have no AG gear...yet:)
Can bring some homebrew though as well as hops, specialty grains, yeast etc. I just starting kegging so I'll have something for sure. Brewing a stout extract this wknd. Charlie

I'd be in with proper notice of time and place. I work a 10-6, Monday to Friday job, so Saturday and Sunday are pretty much consistantly open (I also have no life) but SWMBO and I tend to fill that time by doing stuff, so as long as I know not to just drive aimlessly on that weekend, I'll be there.

I've got a 7.5 gallon aluminum (If you've got a problem with that, bugger off) boil kettle, a propane burner, 10 gallon cooler MLT and now, a Barley Crusher. I've also got Flying Barrel open on Saturdays here - if it was then I could pick up supplies for that day or whatever. :)

This would be my first meetup, so I have no idea what I'm expected to do/bring but again, I'm in if possible. :)

As a side note, if we're seriously planning this, perhaps it should be given a new thread. I know I ALMOST passed this up knowing that 2007 is already gone and I tend not to get involved in "revived" threads - I'm sure other people might miss this for the same reason.

98EXL said:
I know dude.....I find this kinda funny....when did I come up to watch the AG session at your place? July? And here I'm already knee deep in the AG brewing

Been too long since you came up and brewed.

And July - Jan is a long time. At this point, you should be an expert at the amount you brew on the regular. I went AG in 3 months from starting my first extract, and you're at the same pace.

As for the brew - I've got a 15 gallon pot, and a keggle. I'd prefer not to haul my entire brewery, but I can bring down (max) 2 big brewpots and a 10 gallon tun, along with a bucket or two to take some home.

If someone else closer can bring another burner and propane tank (or if 98 has a backup tank), we can do two 10-11 gallon batches at a hit. That's 4 batches per hour. If we do 2 of those, then 8 people can take home wort. Maybe more if there's extra kettles and burners.

Edit: agreed on the new thread. We missed 2007, and if this is serious, let's get a date and time and start a new thread with that date/time in the title. We can them get firm commitments into the new thread.

I have a burner, and I can have 2 tanks full when we do this

I have a 5 and a 10 gallon.

I use the 10 gallon for all regular batches and the 5 gallon one for test brews/small batches.

But the 5 should work for most low grav 5 gallon batches.

I would be down for something. I'm free just about every weekend. I could donate a 5 gallon mash tun.

Well lets start throwing out dates to make this more concrete

98EXL said:
Well lets start throwing out dates to make this more concrete

Things to keep in mind:
weather: cold or rain Does the place/garage/car port (whatever) have heat or a covering. If it is unheated then we need warmer weather(March or April). If it is out in the open then we need a rain date. OR... I have an old detached garage that can be used in the event of rain. I'll have to move canoes, kayaks and bikes but can be done easily if it rains. I'll even sweep it for you guys. Who offered a place? 98EXl or jetzer? I have no AG gear with the exception of propane tanks(2). Depending on the date I may have more gear if I score a good deal. I'm on the hunt!
Dates: February might be too cold?? Easter & spring break will be problematic for me. I think they are both in mid-March. Other than that I am pretty open.
Charlie
PS Duclaws release is coming up. I just got an email from them.

It's January and 68 degrees today... This is just insane. I grew up with Michigan winters and my body reacts violently to it being hot in mid-winter.

Anyway, I'm still very much open to "anything". My in-laws are coming out from California on the 15th and leaving the 18th of Feb. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, honestly. I don't mind seeing them, but my wife might also want me out of the house so we'll see.

Again, really, I'm down for ANY weekend. I have no life, so as long as I have about a week in advance to prepare (and save cash!) I'm there. :)

EDIT: Just asked the wife and she says that the in-laws might actually WANT to show up for a brew day if it fell that weekend, and being on that side of the state would also give them easy-reach to do other cool stuff if they got bored.

balto charlie said:
Things to keep in mind:
weather: cold or rain Does the place/garage/car port (whatever) have heat or a covering. If it is unheated then we need warmer weather(March or April). If it is out in the open then we need a rain date. OR... I have an old detached garage that can be used in the event of rain. I'll have to move canoes, kayaks and bikes but can be done easily if it rains. I'll even sweep it for you guys. Who offered a place? 98EXl or jetzer? I have no AG gear with the exception of propane tanks(2). Depending on the date I may have more gear if I score a good deal. I'm on the hunt!
Dates: February might be too cold?? Easter & spring break will be problematic for me. I think they are both in mid-March. Other than that I am pretty open.
Charlie
PS Duclaws release is coming up. I just got an email from them.

Things covered:

3 car garage is where I brew...3/4 of a bay has my junk in it, so plenty of space for a few batches to take place inside if we get rain. Warmer weather, it's my brewery and I've been brewing year round without freezing my nuts off....ok, I have a Kerosene heater that is awesome to keep things toasty in addition to the burners. I also will even sweep for you guys!

Weather isn't an issue, nor water, power or music, all on lockdown. Propane is always welcome as any equipment :D

Kevin Dean said:
It's January and 68 degrees today... This is just insane. I grew up with Michigan winters and my body reacts violently to it being hot in mid-winter.

Anyway, I'm still very much open to "anything". My in-laws are coming out from California on the 15th and leaving the 18th of Feb. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, honestly. I don't mind seeing them, but my wife might also want me out of the house so we'll see.

Again, really, I'm down for ANY weekend. I have no life, so as long as I have about a week in advance to prepare (and save cash!) I'm there. :)

EDIT: Just asked the wife and she says that the in-laws might actually WANT to show up for a brew day if it fell that weekend, and being on that side of the state would also give them easy-reach to do other cool stuff if they got bored.

Nothing like driving with the windows/sunroof open! And of course anyone is welcome to come! The more the merrier, I'm trying to convince SWMBO this will be fun, like when we do it byourselves :) :tank:

Well, why don't you set a date, 3-4 weeks from now (Not SuperBowl), and whover can make it, makes it. Whoever doesn't can meet up next time.

98EXL said:
Things covered:

3 car garage is where I brew...3/4 of a bay has my junk in it, so plenty of space for a few batches to take place inside if we get rain. Warmer weather, it's my brewery and I've been brewing year round without freezing my nuts off....ok, I have a Kerosene heater that is awesome to keep things toasty in addition to the burners. I also will even sweep for you guys!

Weather isn't an issue, nor water, power or music, all on lockdown. Propane is always welcome as any equipment :D

Excellent I agree w/ jezter. You pick the dates. Then we'll fill in the gaps. Never been to one of these but exactly how do they work. One person buys the ingredients(we split cost) and everyone brings down an empty carboy? Yeats? should someone(I can) make a yeast starter? I'm getting pumped. Charlie

Feb 9th would be perfect. SWMBO is going out of town that weekend :) I'm pretty much open except for 1 weekend in March.

Feb 9th sounds like it will work for me as well.
I am unavailable any day that the Giants are still in the playoffs, and of course Super Bowl sunday.

Edit: Added dates unavailable

Feb 9 is no good for me, sorry. Feb 16/17 is also no good. What is good:
1-19, 1-26, 2-2, 2-23
If 2/9 is good for most then please go for it. I don't want to stop this event. The brew must go on:rockin: Charlie

Real life got in the way the past week or so....

Feb 23rd?

I can't do the 23rd, but if it works for everyone else I'll just show up the next time. I have to go to a concert at Strathmore that night.

98EXL said:
going once, going twice......

I'm in. Sorry for the late reply but my boiler and I had to do battle this week. Once a date is chosen I think we should make a new thread, that is if you want more folks. Charlie

jezter6: I emailed the thirsty brewer to join in on their large brewings but haven't heard back. Maybe he's slow on emails. They have some serious gear.

ok, Feb 23rd is the date. I just did some mad cleaning in the garage so in case we have to move in there, there will be plenty of room!

Anyone been to the Dogfish Head Ale House in Gaithersburg? I'm here right now on the free wi-fi......bitchin!

Also SWMBO will be in attendance, so if anyone wants to bring their SWMBO, and she's worried there won't be chicks there, there will be mine :D

98EXL said:
ok, Feb 23rd is the date. I just did some mad cleaning in the garage so in case we have to move in there, there will be plenty of room!

Anyone been to the Dogfish Head Ale House in Gaithersburg? I'm here right now on the free wi-fi......bitchin!

Also SWMBO will be in attendance, so if anyone wants to bring their SWMBO, and she's worried there won't be chicks there, there will be mine :D
I went as was very disappointed that I was unable to buy a growler full of beer :(

balto charlie said:
I'm in. Sorry for the late reply but my boiler and I had to do battle this week. Once a date is chosen I think we should make a new thread, that is if you want more folks. Charlie

jezter6: I emailed the thirsty brewer to join in on their large brewings but haven't heard back. Maybe he's slow on emails. They have some serious gear.

Charlie - check out www.wootown.org, that's the homebrew club that Tom (owner of the Thirsty Brewer) is president of. It's the club that does brews, not really the store. The store just happens to be the summer location. I always seem to pop in on brew day, in spite of forgetting to sign up for the club. I think I'm a member by proxy just by hanging out at the store and bringing brew to the shop just to taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back