New Years Eve plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amateur night indeed. That's why I'll be staying very close to home. I'll probably be bringing a few growlers of Ed's Haus to my neighbors' (close friends) house. We like to keep it low key for New Years...

We rarely venture out on New Years either. Brewdaughter #1 is having a sleepover (the other parents are all very thankful) so there will be six 8 year old girls running around my house on sugar highs (in addition to SWMBO and my 6, 4 and 9 mo. old daughters).

I think I'll have to drink a few to numb some of the pain. :D

My family is still recovering from some kind of flu bug brought in by an in-law.

We'll be home, safe & sound with Apfelwein on tap and some Eggnog mixed with Australian Bundaberg OP rum. Hmmm good.

At midnight, we pop a bottle of Moet.

The wife and I will be going to an evening church service, and after that, have a few parties that we have been invited to, but have decided to skip them all and just head home for a quiet evening. We like to keep the night low key, and then have a bunch of family and friends over the next day. The guys have been scoping out beers at the grocery store for weeks now for our annual sampling that we do on New Years day. We have 8-10 of us that are usually involved in the sampling, and we get one or two bottles of anything that we can find that we have not tried yet.

On that note, has anyone tried the Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard?
One brother in law and I both love AB, and I can get sixer of the oak aged at my local grocery store, but they refuse to sell single bottles, and they want $16 for the six pack.

olllllo said:
I'll be avoiding random gunfire at midnight.

I wish I was joking.

Up there too eh?

I got a party I'm going to but it's "almost" walking distance from my house.

Made reservations at sort of an upscale asian place that is about 7 blocks away. Walk on over for an early dinner, maybe hit our favorite local bar for a few rounds on the way home. I'm lucky enough to have a little dive with a good beer selection closeby. Just SWMBO and I. All walking distance in our neighborhood. Come home early, relax, maybe watch a flick and...well..you know...

Gonna smoke a Boston Butt and have some friends over. Nothing wild, but it will be SWMBO and I, plus 2-4 couples we hang out with occasionally. Should be a good time.

Well, I love a big wild party and i HATE driving late on any of the "drinking" holidays. So there was only one option: Throw the big wild party. All our friends are crazy theatre people; so we'll all be drunk as skunks, singing karaoke and eating deep fried turkey till about 4 in the morning. I'm pretty sure I've convinced everyone to stick around for a slumber party, so I won't have to worry. BTW don't worry 'bout the deep frying part, I'll stay sober till flameout:)

I'm the chef at a private club and banquet facility. So I'll be working. We have about 650 reservations. 300 in the members dinning room and 350 for the NY Eve party.

cubbies said:
Gonna smoke a Boston Butt and have some friends over. Nothing wild, but it will be SWMBO and I, plus 2-4 couples we hang out with occasionally. Should be a good time.

What a great idea! We were wondering what kind of pork to eat on New Years day, so I ran the pulled pork idea by SWMBO and she grabbed it.

I'll be smoking two boston butts also on New Years eve. Thanks!

hanging at home w/ SWMBO and the buckletts. We'll get some seafood, watch shrek the 3rd, and i'll drink some Victory Storm King Stout.

No sense in going out

EdWort said:
What a great idea! We were wondering what kind of pork to eat on New Years day, so I ran the pulled pork idea by SWMBO and she grabbed it.

I'll be smoking two boston butts also on New Years eve. Thanks!

That reminds me....Gotta take that tri tip out of the freezer....

Warped04 said:
That reminds me....Gotta take that tri tip out of the freezer....

Oooh, another good idea. Perhaps tomorrow. Marinate a tri tip, get the egg up to 700 degrees, sear it on both sides, let it rest, then put it back on at 400 degrees till it reaches 135 degrees internal.

Slice thinly across the grain and serve on fresh Kaiser Rolls with fresh horseradish. Hmmm good.

Pour a pint of homebrew, toast the haggis and play Flower of Scotland on my Hardie pipes....

...and then drink until I'm singing old Dylan tunes in the shower, and that takes a considerable amount of beer...and even then I'm convinced it never happened... although there are apocryphal stories.

I am keeping the car in the underground garage. Bringing in Chapmpage, RIS and hookers.

Sorry, can't top "Edmund Fitzgeralds and anal", but still a great thread.

I'll smoke the baby backs and pull a few pints of my Mirror Pond Clone with my gal. Finish the evening with a snifter of my Oak Aged Bourbon Porter and a CAO MX2 Belicoso. Gotta wake my babe at 2am so she can go to work at 4 and I'll get ready for a brewout at a club member's home.

Hanging with my brother and his wife and what ever people do in columbus OH. Which all of this talk of smoked meat products makes me think we should stay in, tell some of his friends to come over and drink the night away.

I have the day off and I'm gonna brew that day! Brewing my oatmeal stout.:D :ban:

That evening, I'm just gonna sit at home and pull pints of homebrew with my fiancee. We were going to spend the evening at another couple's house, but the host now has to work late NYE, so that's off. Just as well; the big deal surrounding NYE wore off on me a few years ago.

EdWort said:
Oooh, another good idea. Perhaps tomorrow. Marinate a tri tip, get the egg up to 700 degrees, sear it on both sides, let it rest, then put it back on at 400 degrees till it reaches 135 degrees internal.

Slice thinly across the grain and serve on fresh Kaiser Rolls with fresh horseradish. Hmmm good.

I'm done marinating. I buy bulk untrimmed tri tips. I make up the marinades, trim the tri tips, seal them (no vaccumm) marinate for 2 days, then freeze for like 2 hours or until the marinade is solid, unseal, vaccumm and reseal, and freeze.

That way, when I finish thawing out the tri tips they are already marinated. This method works best with dry rubs because you don't have to do the seal / freeze unvaccummed.

I've never tried doing a tri tip like that...I may give that a go.

Back