Saving 1/2 of Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTaps

Reaction score
Im making a 2 gallon batch of pumpkin ale and my recipe only requires half a pack of Wyeast 1272. My question is can i save the other half for a near future brew? I am considering making a starter, and putting it in the fridge inside of a paper bag to keep the light, but im not sure if my yeast will stay alive long this way. Normally i would just throw the other half away, but at $7 a pack each + shipping i would like to use. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...brew on!!!!

Im making a 2 gallon batch of pumpkin ale and my recipe only requires half a pack of Wyeast 1272. My question is can i save the other half for a near future brew? I am considering making a starter, and putting it in the fridge inside of a paper bag to keep the light, but im not sure if my yeast will stay alive long this way. Normally i would just throw the other half away, but at $7 a pack each + shipping i would like to use. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...brew on!!!!

I'd almost be willing to bet that a proper pitch rate is NOT half the package, and probably the entire package would be better anyway.

There is a great resource on mrmalty.com that is a yeast pitching calculator.

For example, in a 2 gallon batch with an OG of 1.060 and yeast that is 1 month old, the proper amount to pitch is 1.1 vials!

(http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html)

If your projected OG for a 2 gallon batch is 1.050 or higher, one vial would be the correct amount to pitch in most cases.

Use the whole thing but save money on yeast by harvesting it at the end.

This yeast washes out nicely, in fact I just pitched a washed 1272 into Yooper's Fizzy Yellow. I did build a starter and split it this time. Not sure whether or not this is the best method or not, but I have a vial full of what looks to be very viable yeast.

Latest posts

Back