Best Yeast for a Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npater

Reaction score
I would like to brew a wee heavy but am having a hard time choosing a yeast. From what I can tell a medium attenuating yeast is optimal (65-70% Range), but the strands specifically for a scotch ale are usually higher. So I guess the question is this: do you have experience on these strands and which would you suggest? Is there a strand you would suggest other than these?

Wyeast

White Labs
WLP002
WLP028

High attenuation is ok. You don't want the yeast to crap out too early. Just mash high for body. 1728 is a beast! 1968 is a very low attenuating yeast with a lower alcohol tolerance that will give you more fruity esters. I wouldn't like a fruity scotch ale.

FYI, 1968 and wlp002 (Fullers) are the same strains.
1728 and wlp028 (McEwans) are the same strains as well. So this narrows it down a little.

I would use the 1728/wlp028 (McEwans) yeast as it usually does a great job simply due to the fact that there are typically more unfermentable sugars in a wee heavy than a normal ale, also the McEwans yeast was raised on scotch ale (wee heavy). The yeast tends to add a slight smokey flavor so if you don't like that you can use any cleaner english strain.

It sort of depends on your recipe though, I like to keep all my scotch/scottish ales with a simple grain bill, 2row and roasted barley.

mine wasnt a true Wee Heavey, but it was a high grav Scotch Ale. I ended up using good ol' WPL001 California, because I needed the yeast cake for my real big imperial. I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked out. Great flavor, but not sweet.

I think I used the 002 for mine...turned out great! Careful though...very sensitive to temperatures.

I used 1728 in mine and it turned out really well. I recommend that one.

Back