Moving to Atlanta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Woodstock, GA to be exact. I took a new job in Duluth and will be moving Oct. 21st-22nd. I've lived in the Chicago area since 1973, save for a 2-1/2 year stint in the 1980s back in my birth state of Texas. We're looking forward to the change and lack of snow & ice. I used to call on Atlanta a lot in a previous sales job, but that was 20 years ago. There will be lot of things we will miss here. We still plan to visit as often as we can... as long as it is not in Winter!

I'm looking forward to getting in my first brew there! The water profile is pretty close to that of Pilsen. Hoping to meet some other local brewers and scout out a HBS. I know BMW is nearby.

Make sure to check out Hop City. It is downtown Atlanta and right next door to 5 Seasons Microbrewery. They have a really good selection of beers, I just visited the place this weekend and was impressed to see it sour beer collection. I hear there is a really good place in Decatur, Brick Works is the name I think. Good luck with your move.

Hey, welcome to the area! I work in Duluth and live in NE Gwinnett Co. We moved here almost a year and a half ago from Upstate NY and are so glad to be rid of the snow and ice (and in the case of my work, salt...)

I usually mail order from BMW since it is a 45 minute drive from my place and the shipping just makes it easier. I haven't done an awful lot of brewing since we have been down here. We rented for the first year and recently bought a house and there is plenty to do! Hopefully I can start refilling my pipeline soon.

Welcome to the neighborhood. Where will you be in Woodstock? I'm off Hwy 92 towards Roswell (exit 7 off 575 or 400).

Brewmaster's Warehouse is a scant 9 miles from my house and on my way home from work (Marietta). There are a few more, but haven't looked them up yet since they're not as close as BMW.

My dad's side is from SW Michigan, about an hour from Chicago; I remember many winters up there at the grandparent's house (and the lake effect snow we got.... 10-15' snow drifts were fun when we were kids).

As for the snow and ice, we get a few days of it every year down here. No one knows how to drive in it, so it causes a media frenzy and all the businesses and schools close.

Myself, I really like the area. Lots of my college buddies moved away right after school (to California and New England, amongst other places), only to return after a few years. Mountains are nearby, ATL airport is 35 min away, Atlantic or Gulf beaches are 5-6 hours away. Allatoona lake is near us, and Lanier is a 30 minute drive. They're no Lake Michigan though, but the fishing's good. 15-20 lb Striper's aren't unheard of, and Allatoona isn't very crowded during the summer (well, not as much as Lanier at least). Housing is very reasonable, especially right now.

My wife drives to Norcross (near Duluth) for work and it's an hour each way, every day. You might learn to hate that drive. But, I'll bet you like the Woodstock area. NW or N Atlanta are only places we'd live around here.

Hey, from a guy very far OTP... I'm up in cartersville but work down in Smyrna/Vinings area. I frequent BWM and am a member of our local brew club (INHBC.org)... lot's of HBTers are in our brew club and you are welcome to join up on the forum, we usually meet up once a month for a meeting (hangout, really).

My wife drives to Norcross (near Duluth) for work and it's an hour each way, every day. You might learn to hate that drive.

Ouch! We might have looked to live in Cobb somewhere since we have friends there, BMW and the Atlanta Beat are there, but since my job is in Duluth, I wasn't willing to commute that long. I really like Northern Gwinnett: plenty to do, great school for my daughter, shopping and we are just rural enough that I can't hear traffic from my backyard! My commute ranges from 20 minutes to 45 and I get off 85 just before it starts to backup around Pleasant Hill.

Make sure to check out Hop City. It is downtown Atlanta and right next door to 5 Seasons Microbrewery. They have a really good selection of beers, I just visited the place this weekend and was impressed to see it sour beer collection. I hear there is a really good place in Decatur, Brick Works is the name I think. Good luck with your move.
Brick Store Pub*

Welcome to the neighborhood. Where will you be in Woodstock? ...
Actually, closer to Milton. Our address is Woodstock, but we are just inside Cherokee County, across the border of Fulton County. I've been to Brew Depot twice already. Brewed my first batch in the new house yesterday. I can see myself getting in a bulk grain group buy in the future.;)

Back