1st Cider - it worked!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avi8tor

Reaction score
I did 2 5 gallon batches 6 months ago and was fairly disappointed with the results.

After 2 months, I tried a bottle and found low carbonation and it tasted rather green or yeasty I guess. I was planning on dumping it but got lazy as I didn't want to go through opening a few cases of bottles.

6 months later: I went to my temp controlled freezer and realized I had a bunch of this stuff to dump. Decided to put one in the reefer for a few days just to see if it had changed.

My wife and I tried it last night and was amazed at how it turned out. The cider had carbed (tons of bubbles) and had a dry apple champagne taste/feature to it. It was awesome! It also had some kick to it - bonus.
Lesson learned: Wait wait wait.

Heading to the store to make more!

Fantastic! I hope that the wait to age my cider pays off. Do I need potassium metabisulfite to prevent oxidation? I still have mine in the c'boy.

Potassium metabisulfite doesn't prevent oxidation, it prevents any micro-organisms from gaining control of your must (usually added before fermentation).

Sounds good man! I wish I had the patience to let mine age, none of mine make it past a month out of the primary :(.

Back