Beer Freezing Point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenchant

Reaction score
Does anyone know the freezing point of your typical light beer? I'm guessing my beer is between 4-5%.

I don't have a beer fridge yet and its -17 outside. I have an insulated garage that stays around -4C (25F) in the winter. I a keg out there tonight and the beer that spilt I noticed did not freeze on the top of the keg. I'm wondering if maybe I'm good to leave this keg in the garage? Some beer that spilt on the concrete froze right away. I have a few chunks of 1.5" insulation. I'm thinking if I put those under the keg to keep it off the concrete the keg won't freeze.

What do you guys think?

I just went outside and checked on it. It's been atleast 4 hours. The beer that spilt on the concrete didn't actually freeze. I had a waste bottle from when I first started the beer line. It's a 2L half full. There's no ice in it at all. I checked the temperature thing again and its reading -3C at about halfway up in my garage. I've got massive 14 foot ceilings.

I'm going to leave everything there overnight and see how it does. I don't have a beer fridge yet but temperatures will be a little warmer then this up to a max of about 3C for the next 2 months! This would be a prime place to store beer if it works. The temperature stays very constant.

So, did your beer freeze at -3C? I have a 4% ordinary bitter sitting in a keg on balcony right now and was wondering if i should bring it inside for the night.

2009?

Anyway, looking at this page, it appears a 5% ABV brew would gain about 2°C or ~3.5°F in freeze protection versus distilled water. So he'd have been on the border line...

Cheers!

Back