And the number one reason to cover your HLT is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
drumroll please!

DSC00634.jpg

I was running a test of the new system the other night and just killed the power when finished. Started it all back up this evening to do another test and had a little suprise waiting for me. heh

That's a magnificent specimen of cockroach. Lovely.

I've got another reason for you to cover your HLT, MLT, and BK. Bird ****. Yep, I left the lid off mine, and a bird bombed my BK. I'd post a pic, but I didn't take one. I just scraped it off and wiped it out before I ran my wort in from the mash.

I can stand those things.. OT, but Demon WP is the BEST for getting rid of them.

I wonder if these guys are fermentable. Make a cockroach mash and enter it in a specialty beer category.

Here in Florida those are called Palmetto bugs

American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CLose, A plametto bug is actually larger than the normal cockraoch, and flies. They are also not scared when the light comes on, and they dont scurry away when startled.

My wife always confuses them, and hates roachs.

Heres a good time, put a fake rubber roach in a book your wife is reading, and when she goes to read it at night when the lights are dim and she cracks that book open...WEEEEE good times.

Here in Florida those are called Palmetto bugs

American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CLose, A plametto bug is actually larger than the normal cockraoch, and flies. They are also not scared when the light comes on, and they dont scurry away when startled.

My wife always confuses them, and hates roachs.

Heres a good time, put a fake rubber roach in a book your wife is reading, and when she goes to read it at night when the lights are dim and she cracks that book open...WEEEEE good times.

You didn't go to the wiki site, eh

The American cockroach (Periplaneta americana) is a large species of winged cockroach.

We had some huge cockroaches in Florida. The kind in the pic above, which could get maybe 2-2.5" long, and could fly, and the darker armored-looking ones that used to hang out in old oak trees. I think those guys fly too, but I'm not sure. They smell horrible if you smash them. I always used to call the armored ones Palmetto bugs, and the others cockroaches.

I woke up in the middle of the night once when I was a kid, maybe 10, and felt something on my hair. I idly brushed my hair with my hand and felt it run down my arm. I freaked. It was big cockroach much like that one. For years I couldn't stand them and went out of my way to track them down around my house and kill them. It was a losing battle, of course. They don't bother me so much any more. They really are quite beautiful, in a disgusting sort of way.

This was definitely a cockroach - it is my fault really as I still haven't caulked up or painted the walls of my "brewery" after building it out earlier this year. I've read that those large roaches don't live inside houses, they only forage into them at night... that's something at least.

For sure these can fly, but I rarely see them doing it. Back in TX as a kid, I clearly remember turning a light on in the kitchen and seeing several take off in different directions flying around the room - ugh!

Wow. Once again, I'm glad I live in CO, where roaches aren't so much of a problem.

And I store my BK upside-down. Never left it sitting overnight, though.

Yeah, if you live in the south you get way too familiar with these things. I always tell people from up north who visit down here that it's not the big ones you have to worry about.

Did you ever consider that it may have only been passing through and decided to take a quick dip?

Back