Anybody else love egg sandwiches!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
I was mashing in this morning, eating my egg sandwich with one of my last bottles of amerillo pale ale.

I was thinking an egg sandwich may be the best sandwich ever. Anybody else love egg sandwiches. There are so many different ways to make an egg sandwich. You could eat a different type of egg sandwich every day.

What do you put on your egg sandwiches?

This morning was egg over med, with fresh salsa and chorizo sausage on a toasted jalepeno bagel.

I do love me a good egg sandwich! Gotta be on buttered bread with cheese...a nice sharp cheddar...but I am from Wisconsin, so cheese goes with many things!

glenn514:mug:

Thats one of my favorite bachelor food on a budget meals. Toasted Wonder bread, a fried egg, slice of processed cheese, mayo and A1 steak sauce.

What is this guy, sandwich crazy or something?

One of my breakfast sandwiches:
Toasted bread
Two eggs fried over medium
Cheddar cheese
3 slices smoked ham

Wheat bread, buttered and Miracle Whipped, sharp cheddar, and 2 runny-yolked fried eggs with salt and pepper, cut in quarters...

I just love eggs and bread. I eat breakfast for dinner all the time. Fried eggs just brings me back to my grandmas house as a child. Eggs fried in a cast iron pan with olive oil so that the yolk is runny but the whites are bubbled and crisp. Then you would mash some good Italian bread into the yolks. Wow
So yeah, a bunch of those eggs on a roll. I also like an omelette with egg, potato and onion on a roll with prosciutto ham and tomato.

I love me a good egg samie at any time of the day. but my favorite egg dish as a kid was a dippy egg that my mom made. It was nothing more than a soft boiled egg that sat in a special cup and she would cut off the top and we would dip slices of toast in to it.

Over easy, toasted bagel, thick slice sharp cheddar, bacon, avocado and 1 part mayo 1 part sriracha mixed up and spred on both sides.

Eat them all the time. Additions vary to my mood or availability. Cheddar, American Swiss, ketchup, salsa, various veggies especially Jersey Fresh tomatoes! Yummy

I lived on egg sandwiches back in college. One of my favorite cheap breakfasts was a fried egg between toast with a little ketchup and some Cholula hot sauce. Also, it sounds gross, but a sunny side up egg on a everything bagel with cream cheese and a dash of hot sauce is pretty damn good too.

We do McMuffins at home all the time. I also love bagels, or any kind of bread with egg sandwiches. Haven't gotten to crazy yet with the ingredients, usually just some ham, bacon, or sausage with whatever cheese is on hand. I can build one of these in about 5 minutes, so I can make one before work and still save time and money over McD's (And get a better sandwich) which is just down the road.

Tomato slice sounds pretty good for next time!

Having grown up in an ethnically mixed Brooklyn neighborhood I can still remember eating googootz (Cucuzza) and egg sandwiches at lunch time with some of my Italian buddies. Back in the 40's and 50's it was common to see the long smooth skinned gourds? or squashes? growing on the backyard fences of all my Italian friends. Tried other squashes but no where near the flavor and texture of the real thing.

bosco

yup yup yup!

I do breakfast for dinner when I can. I do egg sammiches all the time. English muffin or Italian bread, 2 fried eggs over med., provolone or pepper jack a few dashes of hot sauce & either bacon, sausage patties, or ham... or whatever lunch meat I might have.

hmmmmm

I think I'll be sneaking an egg sandwich tonight. My housemate 's daughter is making her soulless/flavorless cabbage soup for dinner.

Lightly toasted sourdough bread, mayo, several strips still chewy bacon, 2 eggs slightly runny yolk, onion, butter lettuce, baby swiss cheese...I know what's for supper tonight!!
My wife likes her eggs and bacon cooked more than I do, so we have to pull my bacon and eggs early from the stove or griddle.

Although a good alternate is a thin buckwheat pancake, with fried egg or 2 on top, layer of white cheddar, spinach leaves, all rolled around a couple links of moose or caribou sausage!

I have an egg sandwich every day for breakfast, but love them all sorts of ways. I don't know if this qualifies as an egg sandwich or not but a pub in town has one, a burger topped with bacon and a fried egg between 2 grilled cheese sandwichs. Very tastey but probably not very healthy.

To quote Anthony Bourdain..."I am an egg whore"
Recently I have been making three eggs on two potato rolls with pepperoni and monterey jack and a touch of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce. An overeasy egg on a rare burger with cheddar and real bacon (none of that thin slice crap) ...that could be my last meal, by whatever name you call it

Toasted brioche, crispy bacon, two poached eggs and tarragon hollandaise. Open faced and sprinkled with chives. Enjoy at most once or twice a year unless you hate your arteries.

chocotaco said:
Toasted brioche, crispy bacon, two poached eggs and tarragon hollandaise. Open faced and sprinkled with chives. Enjoy at most once or twice a year unless you hate your arteries.

Damn, I'm hungry!

Damn, I'm hungry!

It sounds fancy until you realize the easy, foolproof ways to make both poached eggs and hollandaise.

Poached eggs: buy fresh eggs (all egg cartons in the US have a 3-digit number which is the Julian date of packing. Look for the highest number on the shelf). Then use a fine mesh strainer to crack each egg and drain off the liquidy part of the white. Roll them into barely simmering water (preferably in a bain marie, a metal bowl of hot water over a boiling water pot)

Hollandaise: Most recipies are wrong. Get a recipe but instead whisk the egg yolks together with the lemon and salt. Then over lowest heat, whisk it continuously until it seems cooked. Then work in some cold slices of butter until you have hollandaise. Add cayenne and tarragon to taste and pour it over your most awesome breakfast ever.

Most recipes say to whisk the egg yolks and pre-melted butter together. This will result in broken hollandaise. I think these recipes are designed to discourage people from cooking. Source: Julia Child http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-childs-hollandaise-sauce-251332

There are even easier ways to make hollandaise if you have a stick blender and the cup it came with. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html But I don't have a stick blender anymore because mine was a piece of garbage and broke down, and I won't get another one until I know of one that will last at least 10 years.

I encourage everyone to make poached eggs and hollandaise as soon as possible. Even without anything else, it is a delicious breakfast that will impress anyone (as long as you don't tell them how easy it was)

Down around Philly the favorite is egg, pork roll and processed cheese on a bagel. While good, my personal favorite is a BLT on toast with an over easy egg so the yolk runs over everything. Man would that hit the spot about now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do omelettes count as egg sandwiches? The egg takes the places of the bread.

Had an omelette with corned beef, pastrami, and turkey breast this morning. Topped it off with a little cheese.

Slice up thick red tomato slices and grill them while you are frying your egg. Bonus if you put some garlic ended it.

Add to an English muffin with arugula on bottom, egg, cheese, then tomato slice.

I like to toast up some bread (wanna try this with spent grain bread!) & fry up 1/8" thick slices of ham loaf from Aldi's while baking some of those hash brown patties. Place two hash brown patties on a slice of toast,top with the fried ham,then some Amish Smoked Bermuda Onion Colby. Put that under the broiler to melt the cheese. Plate it & top with a fried egg & the other slice of toast. We like to go to Heini's Cheese Chalet down in Berlin,OH for primo Amish cheese & the largest selection in the state. Tasters of all too!:mug:

Love egg sandwiches.

Bacon, egg, and cheese...mmmmm

However, when I am out I almost always order sausage on them unless I know that they cook their bacon properly.

Also, a wonderful addition to eggs in general, and an egg sandwich is pesto.

Breakfast this morning:
2 thick fluffy buttermilk pancakes made with real buttermilk.
2 fresh eggs from the neighbor, sunny side up, pinch of sea salt, fresh ground pepper.
4 strips thick cut bacon cooked to just this side of crispy.
Eggs and bacon sandwiched between pancakes, lots of real butter, press just hard enough to get the yolks running around in between the sheets so to speak!

MMMMMM!

Back