noob cold crashing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berger

Reaction score
hey all, My first brew is about ready to bottle after some stupid rookie mistakes. Took a sample reading and the fg has been steady for 3 days. Any how to make a short story long a question. I am taking over the wife's wine fridge which chills wine to 46-50 deg. Is that cold enough to cold crash my beer before bottling? I was going to let the brew sit in there for 24-36 hours.

Thanks for any help and or advice/tips
Cheers,
Ed:tank:

Not really...cold works best by cooling quickly down to around 30-32 degrees for a few days. At that temp you would have to wait quite a long time before getting the benefit. BTW, I would give it longer than 3 days after hitting your terminal gravity before going to bottle, the yeast is still working cleaning out fermentation byproducts so a few more weeks on the yeast will go a long ways to producing a better beer.

Thanks, A little back round about my 1st. brew. I didn't shake up the smack pack to make a German Ale. It slowly fermented then stopped(hydro reading). The sample at that point smelled good but was bitter. After anothre week it smelled I pitched some dry yeast and I reached the kits fg. It has been in the bucket for 3 1/2 weeks . I will try to get the bucket into the fridge next time to cold crash it :ban:. I was figuring some of the yeast would drop out with temps in the mid to upper 40's.
cheers,
ed

Colder the better- I never cold crash mine to freezing, maybe I get more solids in my bottles, but the beers are plenty clear for me.

Thanks for the info. I put the fermenting bucket into a fridge,which is below 40 deg. I am planning on leaving it there for 18 hours. The wine fridge had the bucket at 48 deg. for 36 hours or so.
cheers:eek:

I was thinking of cold crashing my IPA, what's the minimum time you can cold crash? For example, would it be at all effective for 6 hours (at 32 degrees)?

Back