Ho Ho Hops (Christmas IPA 2012)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
hoho.png

95% Briess Pale
2.5% Gambrinus Honey Malt
2.5% Briess Caramel 60

1 oz Chinook X 60
.5 oz Chinook X 15
.5 oz Citra X 15
.5 oz Nugget X 15
.75 oz Chinook X 5
.75 oz Citra X 5
.75 oz Nugget X 5
1 oz Chinook when chilling temp at 180F
1 oz Citra when chilling temp at 180F
1 oz Nugget when chilling temp at 180F

1 oz Chinook Dry
1 oz Citra Dry
1 oz Nugget Dry

WLP023 Burton Ale

155F mash for 75 mins
60 min boil

4.2 % ABV
76 IBU
6.6 SRM

Ooh, I like the Citra with Chinook and Nugget, that looks tasty. I also like a big Vienna malt Bill, it'll come out good.

ne0t0ky0 said:
Ooh, I like the Citra with Chinook and Nugget, that looks tasty. I also like a big Vienna malt Bill, it'll come out good.

I love Citra, but I'm not a fan of IPA's with only fruity hops. I'm going for tropical fruit meets pine meets herbal. I want the Citra to be there but balanced with something more "traditional."

The mixing of the citra with the other dank, pine and herbal is really nice... Even a Citra, Columbus, Chinook combo... mmmm I like the idea.

I finished brewing it around 5:00. It smells like hop soup. Can't wait to get the dry hops on this pig and drink it. 76 IBU's on a 1.043 OG beer is going to be noticeable! lol

My good digital thermometer crapped out on me so I was forced to use my less reliable ones. My mash goal was 156F but I think I ended up mashing at 150. Thus, it dried out on me to 1.009 when my goal was 1.012. It's not too thin and has a distinctly nice malt flavor already. It only took a day or two to ferment from a low SG of 1.043. I added 3 oz of dry hops last night.

This beer has one of the most attractive aromas that I've ever smelled. Piney, fruity, and herbs. I cannot wait to drunk this. It's going in to bottles today.

Back