ABV a bit high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I check FG last night on my ipa batch. OG was 1.078 unadjusted for temp 1.080 for temp... FG is at 1.014 adjusted... 8.8%... somewhere I messed up I'm thinking...

Think its going to need a while to condition.

It has a great citrus cent and actually a pretty good taste for being 10 days old.

For something 8.8% it will prolly take at LEAST 2 months to mellow out the alcohol. I made a Belgian Saison that ended up being 10% and after 8 months in the bottle, it has an amazingly complex flavor.

I think it depends on the kind of beer and the flavor profile of the beer. If this is an IPA then it could actually be very good in 4 weeks if it doesn't taste like rocket fuel now. I have had a 7.8 percent IPA turn out great with just the three weeks to carb it up in the bottle. I would shoot for having that be a nice beer for new years. I am dry hopping a 10% IIPA tomorrow and other than it being a bit hot and a tad green it is quite delicious. I expect to enjoy one in approx 4 weeks.

Yeah the sip I had was a little "hot" but had a nice IPA flavor. I'm hoping to give it another few days then bottle it next week.

My car bomb stout is currently on day 12 of bottling. Tried one on day 7 and it was actually pretty good...

Not going to dryhop this batch. Really would like to bottle it right now... and get on to the milk stout....

Back