Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
As the name says, an IPA that I can have more than a few pints of in a night without winding up in the Taco Bell drive through and missing a shoe. Loosely based on enohcs' American IPA recipe in the recipes section, since the batch I brewed of it was fantastic.

Batch size: 5.25 gal
Yeast: Bell's propriety strain
OG: 1.043
IBU: 60
SRM: 5.9
FG: shooting for 1.010 or so

Grain:
6.00 lb 2-row
1.25 lb Vienna
0.25 lb Crystal 60*L
0.25 lb Aromatic
0.25 lb Flaked wheat

Hops:
1.00 oz Cascade [5.5%] - 30 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.1%] - 30 min
0.75 oz Willamette [5.0%] - 15 min
1.00 oz Centennial [9.9%] - 15 min
0.75 oz Willamette [5.0%] - 5 min
1.50 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Dry hop
0.50 oz Chinook [13.1%] - Dry hop

Mash:
Mash in at 132*F, pull decoction volume, rest for 20 minutes
Raise to 153*F, pull decoction volume, rest for 20 minutes
Raise to 168*F for mash out, sparge as normal

How does this sound? This is my first decoction, but I figured it would be a good thing to do since it apparently adds perceived body to the beer, which this would desperately need to hope to balance out the hops.

I used to use carapils in all my pale ales, but I started mashing 2-3* higher without it and haven't noticed a difference. I'll definitely look at using it in this recipe since I probably do need all the crutches I can get to get a fuller body. Thanks, I didn't really to think of using it since I nixed it from my brewhouse previously.

My session IPAs start with an original gravity of no less than 1.060. I think that is the perfect gravity level for a house ipa.

My session IPAs start with an original gravity of no less than 1.060. I think that is the perfect gravity level for a house ipa.

Not sure your house IPA is a session IPA. Probably just an IPA that you really like. I made one run at making a session APA around 4-4.5% with a pretty similar grain bill but I overshot the gravity and just made a regular old APA. Oh well, it turned out great with galaxy hops. Next time I'm gonna sub munich for vienna and try to keep the gravity down to what I want.

Back