plastic bag liner for primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycrabster

Reaction score
Greetings,
This is more of a curiosity question than anything else yet, as I am brand new to this and haven't finished my first batch yet...
I came across a reference (can't recall where) to using food grade plastic bags as liners for 5 gallon primary fermenter pails, the idea being just discard the bag (and any sediment or residue) after use and avoid scratching the pail when cleaning, and avoiding future sanitizing problems.
Has anyone done anything like this, does it make any sense?
Thanks,
Tony

Sounds like one more thing that could go wrong somewhere... If you're careful you won't have any problems going about it the normal way... it's worked for all of us.

There's a you brew here place in Bremerton WA that uses 5 gallon plastic drums with bag liners. Seem to work pretty good clean up was a snap. The owner did move all beer with pumps it could be hard to get a syphin started in a bag

Im not sure why it would be any harder to start a siphon from a bag, but I still wouldnt go through the hassle, and also produce more waste. You would have to sanitize the bag anyway, so I dont see that you are saving very much effort.

I would just use youre bucket as normal.

- magno

Most of my pails are over 13 years old. I'm certain they have some scratches in them, but not enough that I'd worry about it.

I only ever scrub them with a soft sponge. I soak them overnight and most of the residue comes right off. I spray them inside and almost everything comes clean.

As long as you sanitize, or over-sanitize, there's no need to worry about nasties in your nooks and crannies.:D

I know a lot of brewers mention taking the spigot apart to sanitize. I never do that. The sanitizing solution goes to the same places the brew does.

Thanks to all,
It's reassuring to hear that all generally goes well if you are careful, especially after reading enough horror stories of brew gone wrong.
Tony

99 - you're almost as lazy as I am! I just use a nipple brush to clean out the spigots.

I buy Veg oil in 5 gallon plastic tubs. I could if I wanted (I don't) clean them and use them for a batch an throw them. Same principle realy.

Breweries her supply beer for take away in polypins.

Back