Using Brown Sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
I had thought about a holiday brew next but I think that will wait until next year when it can have more time to marinate. What I do plan to do is an oatmeal stout and I was thinking about priming with brown sugar but I have a few questions on doing that. Any thoughts in general on doing this? Would this add any sort of flavor to the end product? I assume it would darken it a little. Also, would I use the same amount of brown sugar as I would corn sugar? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

No idea about priming w/brown sugar, but I recently brewed the Dogfish Head Indian Nut Brown clone from the latest issue of byo which uses carmelized brown sugar in the mash. As luck would have it, we recently had our 6%abv cap lifted here in NC and I found this beer (7.2%) at a grocery store and bought some to sample. It prominently lists brown sugar as an ingredient and flavoring component, but courtesy of this *#$@ cold I can't taste a thing. :mad:

I suppose the safe thing to do would be to prime a sixer or so with the brown sugar, and then the rest of the batch with your normal priming sugar just as an experiment.

joeyuwp said:
Also, would I use the same amount of brown sugar as I would corn sugar? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Increase by 15% and you'll be fine.

In other words, how ever much corn sugar you usually use, multiply by 1.15 and that's how much brown sugar to use.

BeeGee said:
As luck would have it, we recently had our 6%abv cap lifted here in NC and I found this beer (7.2%) at a grocery store and bought some to sample.

Hey there, BeeGee! Another brewer in Raleigh... sweet.

I tried sending a private message, but don't think I pulled it off right.

Anyway (sorry for the tangent taken here from the actual thread), but can you suggest some good pubs or breweries in the area (I just moved here.)

-walker

Back